Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

CraigT82

Some Southern Hemisphere DSLR Wide Field

Recommended Posts

Shot on holiday in Tasmania 7th-9th Jan. Low res only due to slow connection.

All with modded 700D on star adventurer and no calibration files (I know, I know!). Basic stretching, NR and histogram equalisation only (in PS)

LMC - single 8 min sub iso400. Carl Zeiss Jena DDR 135mm f/3.5 at f/5.6.

Coalsack - single 8 min sub at iso 400. Canon 50mm f/1.8 at f/4.

Eta Carinae neb - 20*180sec iso 800 (median stacked in PS). 135mm f/3.5 takumar at f/5.6.

Thanks for looking :)

LMC_02-LOW res.jpg

Coal Sack_02 low res.jpg

Eta Carinae 2-01_low-res.jpg

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very nice images, i went to Cairns in Dec, quite disappointed with the high light pollution, although going outside to the countryside it was sooo dark!

that Star adventurer seems a good bit of kit..

But how does it compare with taking 8 mins of say 20s subs and stacking?

cheers

mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mikeyj1 said:

very nice images, i went to Cairns in Dec, quite disappointed with the high light pollution, although going outside to the countryside it was sooo dark!

that Star adventurer seems a good bit of kit..

But how does it compare with taking 8 mins of say 20s subs and stacking?

cheers

mike

 

Thanks, Tasmania is very underpopulated for it's size and has some superbly dark skies, only problem is the moon at the minute which is at about 90% :(

I'm pretty new to this so still experimenting with varying sub lengths, iso, number of sub's etc.... I've been trying out  single long subs to reduce processing time (as stacking in PS os quite time consiming) but thermal noise is an issue, especially down here where it's 20+ degrees at night. Little and lots is the way to go in these conditions I think. I may try another shot of the LMC later this week with lots of shorter sub's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly fabulous images you have managed to capture there. thanks for sharing for all to enjoy :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Thanks, Tasmania is very underpopulated for it's size and has some superbly dark skies, only problem is the moon at the minute which is at about 90% :(

I'm pretty new to this so still experimenting with varying sub lengths, iso, number of sub's etc.... I've been trying out  single long subs to reduce processing time (as stacking in PS os quite time consiming) but thermal noise is an issue, especially down here where it's 20+ degrees at night. Little and lots is the way to go in these conditions I think. I may try another shot of the LMC later this week with lots of shorter sub's.

Thanks, interesting.  would make a good 'experiment', let us know how it goes?

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see some Southern hemisphere objects.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice images. I'm off to Melbourne next week and hope to go to tazmania and travel round oz a bit. No star adventurer I'm afraid so I will have to use my nifty 50 for some static tripod shots. Cheers. Tim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great images, and what a great opportunity for you to get some Southern Hemisphere targets.  I hadn't started imaging when I went to Australia, but I did get to see through a few scopes and even binoculars were useful.

Carole 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2017 at 14:50, StargeezerTim said:

Nice images. I'm off to Melbourne next week and hope to go to tazmania and travel round oz a bit. No star adventurer I'm afraid so I will have to use my nifty 50 for some static tripod shots. Cheers. Tim.

The only tip I could give you is to wear trousers and long sleeves when you're out at night... the mosquitos here are vicious!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, etunar said:

all 3 are great images.

8 minutes on star adventurer is very impressive. was it guided?

Nope no guiding. I'm finding my SA copes well with 8 minutes at 135mm (the stars aren't perfect, but 'acceptable').  I have spent quite a bit of time getting the polar scope as calibrated as I can get it, then also spend at least 10 minutes on floor getting the PA spot on.  Or maybe I've just got a good example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.