Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

moonomaly

My first astrovideo.

Finally managed to see something through the Bresser CCD, recorded my first footage of the Moon :)

I was battling with wind, a crappy tripod and a broken off pan-handle so forgive the wobble please !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kydegcjeacpl22j/20170109202328.avi?dl=0

Through a Celestron 70 travel scope (400mm), a 2x Barlow and a Bresser CCD.

Cheers, Gary.

If you stacked the first 3 seconds of the video it would make a decent composite. 

• Like 1

Nice one i'll give that a go, what software would you recommend for stacking (i think i can extract the frames with VLC) ?

I used registax myself. Easy to use and lots of ways of playing with the results

Thansk i'll try that, just tried deepskystacker but it couldn't find stars as reference points.

DSS is not used for videos like yours - it's really for deep sky long exposure frames.

you could try Autostakkert or Registax6 - both free.

Hope this helps

Thanks Radec, i guess the clue's in the name 'deep sky' ha!

I tried Registax for a couple of hours but it repeatedly only pulled 1 frame from the 100 or so that make up the first 4 seconds.

All in good time :)

I'm by no means experienced in any of this, so I'd consider my efforts little more than fat-fingering in PIPP and AS!2.

I downloaded your video and used PIPP to set a region of interest to extract a 512x512 video of the right-hand side of the disc giving a somewhat stabilised output video. Then I ran it back through PIPP to create another output video containing only the first 150 frames. If I knew how to edit avis to cut out the poor sections, there's probably at least twice that of useable footage, but I just wanted to see what I could get doing a quickie on it.

I put the cropped and shortened video into Autostakkert!2 and I think used 75% of the frames - it shows you a quality graph so you can choose how much to use. Finally, a single unsharp mask in Gimp and got this image out...

partially_processed.jpg

It's perhaps a little too far processed - craters and mountains look unnaturally high in relief to me if I over-process.

Regarding capture - wind is a killer, if you don't have a tracking mount like me then the moon drifts out of view and you either have to limit video length or settle for an area of interest which is visible throughout the video.

Great start, good luck with the next one and with learning the software processing tool chains. Be sure to let us see what you get out.

Matt.

• Like 1

Thanks furrysocks!

On another note, i tried out the sky view app for android and it showed the Moon as being in completely the opposite direction from where it was yesterday. I did the old figure-of-eight phone shke to calibrate it but no joy. So then i got the Stellarium app but i couldn't get that to look up and down.

I then got Stellarium for the Pc and that was telling me the Moon was in the opposite direction from what it was!

So i got a magnet, got my pole-checker to see which was North and then checked my compass with that, all good.

What could be causing every app/program i try to be showing the Moon as being positioned 180 degrees off?

Edited by moonomaly
OCD

16 minutes ago, moonomaly said:

Thanks furrysocks!

On another note, i tried out the sky view app for android and it showed the Moon as being in completely the opposite direction from where it was yesterday. I did the old figure-of-eight phone shke to calibrate it but no joy. So then i got the Stellarium app but i couldn't get that to look up and down.

I then got Stellarium for the Pc and that was telling me the Moon was in the opposite direction from what it was!

So i got a magnet, got my pole-checker to see which was North and then checked my compass with that, all good.

What could be causing every app/program i try to be showing the Moon as being positioned 180 degrees off?

Have you correctly entered your latitude and longitude? Google maps can give it to you.

19 minutes ago, moonomaly said:

... it showed the Moon as being in completely the opposite direction from where it was yesterday.

Same time of day?

Thanks, yes time/long/lat all good.

I do sometimes miss the blindingly obvious but can't think what it could be here.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kluson
      Wow, First time I've seen the Moon through a telescope and what a sight. We had a good look at the Moon last night. It was also a chance to play around with the different eyepieces and what a difference that made. The red dot pointer was spot on after I found the little cardboard trick on you tube. Only using the 6SE in manual mode at the moment. Hopefully the cables for the firmware updates will be here today and the sky will be clear tonight. I fear that tonight will be cloudy, seems to be building up now, even looks like we may have a little rain. Looking at the moon was a little bit emotional. I am so happy we have the telescope.  One question someone may be able to help with, is there a way to make the focusing on the Celestron 6SE a little less coarse.. It's almost like we need some kind of fine focus. Don't get me wrong, the focus is great , it's just a little bit sensitive, It's almost as if it needed something with a larger circumference.
      We were looking at the moon with mouths wide open in awe of the beauty of something ordinarily we take for granted. I think we are hooked into astronomy, although there is so much to learn, at least now we have the time. We are finding that we now have the urge to take pictures, and also record our observing. Do people just use notebooks for observing notes or is there some kind of  correct way of doing things
       Thanks for all the words of encouragement
      D

• By Akmcf
      Hi guys! 🙂
      My name is Andrew, I only just stumbled across these forums just now! Couldn’t have come across a better community to help me with some questions I have!

So I’ve Come to the conclusion that I’m going to be buying a Celestron Nexstar 6SE telescope everything about it appeals to me. I currently own a much older manual celestron telescope and am ready for my first proper telescope!
      I do plenty of photography and own a DSLR and am aware that with this telescope that it comes with a software that will record video of what you’re gazing at and stack the images if I’m correct?
      because I’m familiar with normal photography and not so much with Astro photography I was wondering if anyone could help me out. For the stocking software, is that all the process completed within the telescope and no DSLR? Or is that recorded with the DSL are and then the software stacks? What kind of adapters would I need to be getting into AP? By the way I’m looking at mainly photographing the moon and hopefully get some awesome shots of the other planets too! 😄 not so much deep AP, as from my research I’ve gathered that this isn’t the greatest for it... anyways.

Is it better to use a DSLR and an adapter on the eyepiece for imaging? Or the stacking and what would I need for best result stacking images, especially of planets like Saturn and Jupiter?! Are the individual eyepiece attachments you buy for the telescope, cameras in themselves? What is aci?  I’ve got no clue! Haha a lot to learn!

I thought I was on the right track looking by myself for equipment and I came across the 10MP celestron Neximage eyepiece or whatever it is? I’m not entirely sure? And also what is a T ring? Is that a Dslr adapter? Does the stacking software come with the telescope or with additional purchases?!
      Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Obviously I’m very excited to get going and am very keen on getting some equipment! Any answers are much appreciated!
      Have a great day!

Andrew
    • By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
      I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
      I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
      I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
      Thanks in advance!

• By Krish Sachdev
      I took photos of the flower moon at 300mm and 1.5x crop .I am using autostakkert 3 to stack the photos but I am not getting the expected results .Any recommendations?
    • By Adaaam75
      Hi guys,
      So on Tuesday night I spent the evening imaging the moon with my Celestron 9.25 SCT and DSLR as shown below and am happy with the images I collated (I only took images as I did intend to take capture video but I got carried away and time was getting on).
      I have approx 350 jpeg (and the equivalent in raw) images and have used the Microsoft image composite editor to stitch the frames together without editing them first etc but I wonder if I'm going the images an injustice?
      I'm not ready to pay for editing software as I know there is a lot of very good free downloads out there and I'm asking for recommendations. Should I be processing the frames before/after stitching and what software would you recommend? Please offer any advice you have.
      I will post the resulting image once I'm happy with the outcome 😁
      Thanks in advance,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.