Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should i lose my finder for the telrad?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, popeye85 said:

Not a problem good sir! I'm looking forward to seeing what Dave comes up with though!

Please don't hold your breath. The tone on the possibility indicates the original premise may well be in error - and this was my guess in the first place. For those with a Telrad®, let's see what happens if someone who has one of these at hand - try to mount it on a standard finder-mount? Take some measurements and see what needs to be done to make it be mountable. Perhaps said person(s) has a camera on-hand?

Often times, when someone says: "It can't be done," we're all too quick to take this as gospel - with even trying to do whatever we've self-programmed ourselves into buying hook, line, and sinker. Sneaky little trick that our psyches' likes to play on us.

Be brave! Stand up to yourself! :D

ARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Dave da' Wolf  :iamwithstupid:

12 minutes ago, Gary170782 said:

So if I bought this RACI then would it be a straight swap or would I need to replace the shoe also? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-illuminated-right-angle-correct-image-finderscope.html

I think I would prefer a straight swap of anyone knows of one? 

That one may not fit the existing shoe, but this one will: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html do you need it illuminated? I've never really understood what that feature would be used for.

12 minutes ago, rockystar said:

That one may not fit the existing shoe, but this one will: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html do you need it illuminated? I've never really understood what that feature would be used for.

I did see the one you mentioned but I just thought maybe it would be better if I got one that keeps the correct left to right image as I read it's a lot easier to work with. 

44 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Hi Rocky -

That Skywatcher-branded 8 X 50mm RACI is a GSO-model. These bear many brand-names worldwide. And they are my personal favorites! This as the optics are superbe, and these can be adjusted easily in-the-dark without causing any 'dancing' of the object in your eyepiece of the main scope. So a very good call.

Thanks for posting, all -

Dave

7 hours ago, Gary170782 said:

I did see the one you mentioned but I just thought maybe it would be better if I got one that keeps the correct left to right image as I read it's a lot easier to work with. 

hi gary, this one is the right way round, It's a RACI (Right Angled, Corrected Image) same as the celestron model :)

On my first scope, a small Mak, I used the dual finder scope for the small standard 30mm finder scope and the Rigel quikfinder. The finders often stood under an akward angle. You do indeed look through the finder scope from above and through the Rigel by keeping your eyes behind it. The awkward angle is caused by fact that the dual mount is bowed.

On my C8 we made an other solution. I put the big RACI finder in a finder shoe on the mount. I bought a good one where I can turn around the diagonal, which is very handy. The Rigel is glued to the scope. To not do this permanently, I have cut out a slice of a plastic bucket with the same aperture as the scope and used double sided tape to fix it to the scope. The Rigel's foot is glued with very solid glue to the piece of bucket. This is fixed very nicely. And I can take of the Rigel for transport. You could make a similar solution for your Telrad.

Why don't telescope producers make several places to fit a finder shoe??

14 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Cost cutting???

I think rather than seeing at as cost cutting (i.e. for their own good)  it is more about manufacturers keeping the price of the product within the bounds of what people are prepared to pay. It is much the same reason as why they supply most scopes, even very expensive ones, with cheap and nasty eyepieces, diagonals, dovetails, etc.

17 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Please don't hold your breath. The tone on the possibility indicates the original premise may well be in error - and this was my guess in the first place. For those with a Telrad®, let's see what happens if someone who has one of these at hand - try to mount it on a standard finder-mount? Take some measurements and see what needs to be done to make it be mountable. Perhaps said person(s) has a camera on-hand?

Often times, when someone says: "It can't be done," we're all too quick to take this as gospel - with even trying to do whatever we've self-programmed ourselves into buying hook, line, and sinker. Sneaky little trick that our psyches' likes to play on us.

Be brave! Stand up to yourself! :D

ARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Dave da' Wolf  :iamwithstupid:

I'm quite surprised nobody has come up with something to mount a Telrad on to the existing finder bracket. You'd have thought it couldn't be that hard and given the amount of people that use a Telrad and don't line the idea of sticky gunk all over their scope there's maybe a market

9 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Ah Ha! moment has arrived!

Dave

I have pulled the trigger and ordered two of these - one for a Telrad and one that will be used with my DLSR.

I will report back :wink:

25 minutes ago, DRT said:

I have pulled the trigger and ordered two of these - one for a Telrad and one that will be used with my DLSR.

I will report back :wink:

That trigger must be getting a little worn these days Derek!! ;) Lots of new toys :) 

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

That trigger must be getting a little worn these days Derek!! ;) Lots of new toys :) 

I put quite a few things up for sale and more of them sold than I expected/needed to fund my new travel kit. I am merely putting the surplus funds to experimental use for the sake of Team SGL :icon_salut::lol:

On 1/8/2017 at 23:25, Gary170782 said:

............. telrad and I'm now wondering where to put it, the only real place a can think of is the other side of the Dob, or should I remove the existing finder scope and place the telrad where that used to be??? 

Or should I even return the telrad and keep getting better with the original finder? 

hello again!.....( I hope that's not copywriten,  YT, Astroshed ?)

Hopefully by now, you will  have  adapted  and overcome the  solution to your  minor dilemma.
For me,  my solution is to send the Telrad  to a new home!

1 hour ago, Charic said:

hello again!.....( I hope that's not copywriten,  YT, Astroshed ?)

Hopefully by now, you will  have  adapted  and overcome the  solution to your  minor dilemma.
For me,  my solution is to send the Telrad  to a new home!

Hi charic,

I  haven't set up the telrad yet as since the OP I haven't seen a single star in the sky thanks to the lovely Manchester weather. I have my electrical tape at the ready thou for when the sky clears and I can try the telrad out in a few places and see which place I prefer the most. 

9 hours ago, Gary170782 said:

Hi charic,

I  haven't set up the telrad yet as since the OP I haven't seen a single star in the sky thanks to the lovely Manchester weather. I have my electrical tape at the ready thou for when the sky clears and I can try the telrad out in a few places and see which place I prefer the most. 

Cable ties apparently - then you can move it around during your first session.

Why can't you drill the Telrad base 2 new holes to screw onto a new smaller shoe, so that the new shoe fits onto the dual holder that was posted? Surely this would be easier? 

I'd suggest lining up the Telrad base squarely on the new smaller shoe firmly, and marking through the new show mounting holes onto the underside of the Telrad base, then drilling two 2mm holes through. Then turn it over and drill the right size holes and countersinking to take bolts that will fit into the new shoe. Attach the Telrad base to the new shoe, then slide the shoe into the dovetail dual holder. As long as the new shoe and Telrad base were as square as possible when you placed one on top of the other, and your drilling was was also correct (suggest using a drill press) then you will be ok. If you're close to me then I'll do it for you on my press?

Here's one I prepared earlier?
I used double sided tape to adhere the Telrad to the scopes OTA. My  double sided is NOT M3 tape, so much easier to remove, so if the tape were a belt, the braces were two sets of tie-wraps?
You can just make out two white tie-wraps passing through the base of my Telrad ( seen between finder and Telrad ).

Excuse the peeled paint effect on the finder scope, Its  just ice melting away!!
The Telrad base has two pre-drilled holes, if you need to bolt the base to the OTA.

IMG_0708.JPG

Well I'm sure I'll get to try my telrad out soon enough, that is when the moon isn't making the sky look  like a summer's afternoon ?, I'm not going to mess around with adapting a dual mount, I think for the time being anyway I'm more than happy with just seeing what I have and how well they work together. Maybe at a later date if it bothers me that much then I'll look into it. 

Archived