SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should i lose my finder for the telrad?

Hi all (again) ?

So I've been using the finder scope that came with my Dob 200, which at first was a little hard to get used to, but the other night I managed to start doing a little star hopping with it. ( go me ).

Anyway 

The first thing I bought through recommendations was a telrad and I'm now wondering where to put it, the only real place a can think of is the other side of the Dob, or should I remove the existing finder scope and place the telrad where that used to be??? 

Or should I even return the telrad and keep getting better with the original finder? 

Gary

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. Keep the telrad. I have both the existing finder scope and the telrad on my scope. They both can work well individual, but as a team up just gives you that extra quick finding capability with the telrad and star hoping and location of objects with the existing finder

Telrads are great keep it and locate it where possible on the scope, you will not regret it . Once you start using the telrad you will wonder how you ever managed without it

I hope the above helps☺

Find a place for both! Telrads have no magnification but are absolutely fantastic for getting you into the ball park. Then the magnified finderscope comes into its own.

Eventually you might want to replace the basic finderscope with a RACI (right angle correct image) which is a lot more comfortable to use.

3 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Find a place for both! Telrads have no magnification but are absolutely fantastic for getting you into the ball park. Then the magnified finderscope comes into its own.

Eventually you might want to replace the basic finderscope with a RACI (right angle correct image) which is a lot more comfortable to use.

I have actually been looking at a RACI also as someone else mentioned them in another post, I may have to get one as I was looking for something the other night but it was right above me so I had to get on my knees in a very uncomfortable position. Not ideal.  

Just now, Gary170782 said:

Can anyone recommend this item, or should I stick with the supplied stick on pads. 

That dual finder mount will not hold a Telrad unless you find a way of bolting a Synta finder foot to the underside of the Telrad.

My advice is as above - keep both and then find an RACI to replace the straight through finder. You should get one second hand for £40 on ABS UK.

I had a pre-installed generic red-dot finder on an older Orion 200mm F/4 Rich-Field Newt. No way could I get the muck they called 'adhesive' off the OTA. The red-dot was waaaaay off and worthless. Ah well - it's 'muck' is still adorning the tube. So please beware if you plan installing anything with similar stuff.

That dual-mounting looks most promising. Thank you very much popeye! A very good catch indeed. I now use a RACI. If you folks, or anyone else reading this, my personal favorites are the GSO 8 X 50mm ones. This as they can be 'tweaked' without vibration throwing a high-powered view at the eyepiece. As well as beautiful optics. I know one fellow who often just uses the finder itself. No telescope instead. Me thinks he loves it! :p I'd see if I couldn't find a work-around to using an adhesive for something similar to a Telrad - and maybe I'd relent on using it again. If so I put it right over the still-present older one.

Are you sure the Telrad doesn't work in a dual-mount bracket? If so - I just found a new research-project for myself!

Thanks again!

Dave

Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket.png

26 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Dave might just have found a very interesting little project! All you would need, I'm guessing, is to make a dovetail to fit. Metal would be strongest, but hard plastic could work (perhaps a 3d printer?), and even hard wood, at least as a prototype.

"3-D Printer" is the first thing the breezed through my head! Good telepathy there!

"Oh Gina....."

I shall take a 'gander' at this when I get the chance. Thank you, Pat.

Enjoy -

Dave

3 hours ago, Gary170782 said:

The first thing I bought through recommendations was a telrad and I'm now wondering where to put it

Or, you could have gone with a Rigel QuikFinder which has a much smaller footprint and might be easier to find a place for it.  I've used both over the years, and while the Telrad is easier to use, the Rigel is much easier to mount on smaller OTAs.  I never got the knack for using finder scopes.  I just preferred to use a widest field eyepiece in the main scope and later a Sky Commander DSC setup.  And in the last two years, I added green laser sights to my scopes because cranking my head around to use reflex sights as I age is getting harder and harder.

8 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Orion Dual Finder Scope Mounting Bracket.png

Perhaps my first post was too hasty? Looking at that bracket again perhaps removing one of the shoes would allow a sticky pad to be used to fit either a Telrad or Rigel quite easily?

Apologies to @popeye85 if my initial reaction was dismissive  :embarassed:

I wouldn't be without my Telrad.

When first fitting to my scope I attached using low tack masking tape and experimented 'til I found the ideal position.

Good luck, I'm sure once you have used the Telrad a few times you will be a fan like a lot of us here.

BTW +1 for the Telrad/RACI combination.

Alternatively, if you don't want half a brick stuck to your 'scope with sticky pads, you could try the Celestron Starpointer Pro. It does the same job as the Telrad, fits into a standard finder shoe, and doesn't look like a brick :)

John

I bought a Telrad, hardly used it, plus the reach is  a little awkward   with the Telrad mounted the other side of the 9x50, but its achievable, and you need to be aligned behind the finder for it to be effective, its not like sticking your eye to an eyepiece.
I sold it to a fellow member who  made it into a 'shorty' Telrad. After selling the device, it felt like I needed one again? so the second arrived. Its mounted to the same spot, the reach is just as awkward ( there is a riser available  for the Telrad ? )  and I can't use the Telrad without prescription glasses, so  for now its merely a decoration, though I used the Telrad early Sunday morning 1st Jan, probably the first time in a Year,  maybe longer,  also forgot to switch it off, just remembered! ( they last for days anyway).

The Telrad appears to project a Bulls-eye target at infinity against the sky, its very easy to use, but with no magnification, you'll still need to rely on a magnified finder, or  the eyepiece in use. My reason for keeping the second   telrad was to use  it  under a darker sky where its possible the reticule in the standard finder can disappear against the dark background. 

I also found that by keeping both eyes open, when using the 9x50, I find it easier to locate my target, now  preferring the standard 9x50 finder.
I have never tried a right angled corrected finder (RACI)  scope, just don't see the point,  the image from my scope is still mirrored?  I just use and manage the scope as it is, practice makes perfect. 

Like so many upgrades, you won't know if its right until you have tried.

I use both: quickly line up to my starting star with the telrad, then sit back and use a RACI to hop through the brighter stars and then onto my low power EP to narrow in on the target.

there are some targets I get to straight from the telrad, either because they are naked eye, or because I know where they are in relation to a nearby naked eye star.

I ended up moving the shoe for the finder as I couldn't get them both to fit conveniently - It's not quite how I'd like it, but better than in the default position. I think a riser might be next on the list to make it a bit easier.

13 hours ago, popeye85 said:

Ooo.....that's a find, I wonder if something like would work/fit on my 200P?   I could then install that RDF I was shown in the other thread and still use my right-angled magnified view finder that Santa got me.

Archived