Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

  • Announcements

    sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_smartphones.thumb.jpg.2c4c8c071da4f18cb4d5b9abc11d6e7b.jpg

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Pulled the trigger: going to the 2017 eclipse!

Recommended Posts

Just booked the flights for the whole family, and fixed the car rental for a trip to the USA, as my wife would have just to meet up with old friends, but as I keep insisting because of the eclipse on August 21. We will first be visiting friends in Indiana, and after that going to Colorado for two weeks. A very good friend lives in Longmont, just north of Denver, and a 2.5 hour drive from Orin, Wyoming which is slap bang in the middle of the eclipse path.

Excited? Me? :blob9:

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steppenwolf    4,505

Wow, that sounds brilliant - I hope you all have a great trip and even better view!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timebandit    1,346

 

That' sounds great,  should have a great time. 

Have you room for one more if I can squeeze into the case😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark at Beaufort    2,726

Enjoy the trip Michael. I was fortunate to be able to chat with Dr Kate Russo last October who is advising many US States on the arrangements for the Eclipse in their area. Kate advised me about the population move on the day and that the Freeways may become blocked. I will build that into your 2.5 hour drive to make sure you have enough time to set everything up.

I look forward to seeing great photos on your return.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Enjoy the trip Michael. I was fortunate to be able to chat with Dr Kate Russo last October who is advising many US States on the arrangements for the Eclipse in their area. Kate advised me about the population move on the day and that the Freeways may become blocked. I will build that into your 2.5 hour drive to make sure you have enough time to set everything up.

I look forward to seeing great photos on your return.

Will certainly factor in the extra travel time! Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RichLD    803

One of my top bucket list entries - you lucky man! Have an amazing time!

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davey-T    9,701

Lucky you Michael and lucky to have friends to visit as most places in the area seem to be fully booked.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

 

That' sounds great,  should have a great time. 

Have you room for one more if I can squeeze into the case😀

Not likely, as I have to squeeze all the gear into the cases

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scooot    2,586

That's great Michael. I'm very envious, I saw the one in the Faroe Islands and the memory will be with me for a long time. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Knighty2112    2,367

Sounds great. Hope the weather stays good for you. Last eclipse I went to see was clouded over. Thankfully that was only travelling down to Cornwall to view it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iapa    548
33 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just booked the flights for the whole family, and fixed the car rental for a trip to the USA, as my wife would have just to meet up with old friends, but as I keep insisting because of the eclipse on August 21. We will first be visiting friends in Indiana, and after that going to Colorado for two weeks. A very good friend lives in Longmont, just north of Denver, and a 2.5 hour drive from Orin, Wyoming which is slap bang in the middle of the eclipse path.

Excited? Me? :blob9:

Yawn.

Sounds terrible.

I could consider doing you a kindness and taking upper place, just send me the tickers and car booking details to save you having to put up with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nightfisher    6,678

Excellent, be sure to take plenty of pics, silly question will the eclipse be partly visible from the UK cloud permitting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayD    1,677
5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Excellent, be sure to take plenty of pics, silly question will the eclipse be partly visible from the UK cloud permitting

No afraid not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev    440

I fear we now know whosgoing to be responsible for the clouds! <grin>

 

Hope you have a great trip. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark at Beaufort    2,726
1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Excellent, be sure to take plenty of pics, silly question will the eclipse be partly visible from the UK cloud permitting

Here you are Jules to answer your question

eclipse.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayD    1,677

My apologies my mistake, thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott    4,801

you're one lucky fella Michael. I've just turned a rather emerald shade of green:blob10:.  Still happy for you though :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul M    1,658

Yup, congratulations. If you like that sort of thing.... :wink:

I'd had that one on my list of possibles until I started working shifts now it's not possible :(

Looking forward to your trip report. Won't be long now! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Spock    5,212

Sounds perfect. I only wish I could go. Maybe one day :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bish    636

I sold a load of camera gear recently to put towards a trip this year for the eclipse. Going to Idaho, so will look around Yellowstone and then travel down to Grand Canyon, Bryce etc. Hopefully it will be clear, but if not it's still a holiday that I would have booked anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iapa    548

I suppose the rest of us have to wait until July next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark at Beaufort    2,726
44 minutes ago, iapa said:

I suppose the rest of us have to wait until July next year.

What is happening next year? I thought there were just two partial eclipses in 2018 - 15th Feb and 13th July both virtually in Antarctica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×