Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nlc.gif

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Pulled the trigger: going to the 2017 eclipse!

36 posts in this topic

Just booked the flights for the whole family, and fixed the car rental for a trip to the USA, as my wife would have just to meet up with old friends, but as I keep insisting because of the eclipse on August 21. We will first be visiting friends in Indiana, and after that going to Colorado for two weeks. A very good friend lives in Longmont, just north of Denver, and a 2.5 hour drive from Orin, Wyoming which is slap bang in the middle of the eclipse path.

Excited? Me? :blob9:

23 people like this

Wow, that sounds brilliant - I hope you all have a great trip and even better view!

That' sounds great,  should have a great time. 

Have you room for one more if I can squeeze into the case😀

Enjoy the trip Michael. I was fortunate to be able to chat with Dr Kate Russo last October who is advising many US States on the arrangements for the Eclipse in their area. Kate advised me about the population move on the day and that the Freeways may become blocked. I will build that into your 2.5 hour drive to make sure you have enough time to set everything up.

I look forward to seeing great photos on your return.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Enjoy the trip Michael. I was fortunate to be able to chat with Dr Kate Russo last October who is advising many US States on the arrangements for the Eclipse in their area. Kate advised me about the population move on the day and that the Freeways may become blocked. I will build that into your 2.5 hour drive to make sure you have enough time to set everything up.

I look forward to seeing great photos on your return.

Will certainly factor in the extra travel time! Cheers.

One of my top bucket list entries - you lucky man! Have an amazing time!

Rich

Lucky you Michael and lucky to have friends to visit as most places in the area seem to be fully booked.

Dave

13 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

That' sounds great,  should have a great time. 

Have you room for one more if I can squeeze into the case😀

Not likely, as I have to squeeze all the gear into the cases

That's great Michael. I'm very envious, I saw the one in the Faroe Islands and the memory will be with me for a long time. :) 

Have a great time and fingers crossed for clear skies.

Sounds great. Hope the weather stays good for you. Last eclipse I went to see was clouded over. Thankfully that was only travelling down to Cornwall to view it. 

33 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just booked the flights for the whole family, and fixed the car rental for a trip to the USA, as my wife would have just to meet up with old friends, but as I keep insisting because of the eclipse on August 21. We will first be visiting friends in Indiana, and after that going to Colorado for two weeks. A very good friend lives in Longmont, just north of Denver, and a 2.5 hour drive from Orin, Wyoming which is slap bang in the middle of the eclipse path.

Excited? Me? :blob9:

Yawn.

Sounds terrible.

I could consider doing you a kindness and taking upper place, just send me the tickers and car booking details to save you having to put up with this.

Excellent, be sure to take plenty of pics, silly question will the eclipse be partly visible from the UK cloud permitting

5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Excellent, be sure to take plenty of pics, silly question will the eclipse be partly visible from the UK cloud permitting

No afraid not.

I fear we now know whosgoing to be responsible for the clouds! <grin>

Hope you have a great trip. 

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

Here you are Jules to answer your question

eclipse.JPG

3 people like this

My apologies my mistake, thanks for the info.

you're one lucky fella Michael. I've just turned a rather emerald shade of green:blob10:.  Still happy for you though :D

Yup, congratulations. If you like that sort of thing.... :wink:

I'd had that one on my list of possibles until I started working shifts now it's not possible :(

Looking forward to your trip report. Won't be long now! :)

Sounds perfect. I only wish I could go. Maybe one day :smile:

I sold a load of camera gear recently to put towards a trip this year for the eclipse. Going to Idaho, so will look around Yellowstone and then travel down to Grand Canyon, Bryce etc. Hopefully it will be clear, but if not it's still a holiday that I would have booked anyway.

1 person likes this

I suppose the rest of us have to wait until July next year.

44 minutes ago, iapa said:

I suppose the rest of us have to wait until July next year.

What is happening next year? I thought there were just two partial eclipses in 2018 - 15th Feb and 13th July both virtually in Antarctica.

:blush:

it's total LUNAR 

doh!