sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Binocular Monopod in a minute

Inspired by Steve Tonkin, http://binocularsky.com

I put together a monopole for quick reaction viewing with my 15x70 Skymaster binoculars. I did have a standard camera mount which I adapted.

1. get a wooden batten approximately eye height in length. (Ideally this should be high enough to allow you to look directly up with your attached binoculars - you can incline the pole to view nearer the horizon)

2. Drill a hole near one end.

3. Insert a bolt and secure with a nut.

4. Attach your tripod via bolt through the carrying handle. (alternatively you can attach it with a cable tie)

It provides a remarkably steady mount for scanning the sky. :smiley:

John

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

Edited by westmarch
  • Like 3

Hi Sonny. It's not too difficult. The pole raises a pair of binoculars on a small tripod to zenith-viewing height. The tripod in the pictures has an adjustable central column, which you lower to aim at objects lower in the sky. For a tripod without a handle you need to come up with a different way to attach it to your pole. HTH.

• Like 1

Hi Sonny,

as Ruud helpfully replied, it's based on the monopod that Steve Tonkin advocates in his brilliant web site. http://binocularsky.com/

A monopod allows you to stand, scan the full range of alt/azimuth sky easily without the arm fatigue that large binoculars cause.  Yes I could just sit with the tripod extended but you end up shuffling the chair around the tripod legs.

This Is quick, cheap relatively steady and lets you decide if you want to shell out for a commercial monopod.  :icon_biggrin:

John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By chrobakx
      This is Celestron cg3 mount suitable for any telescope tube with vixen dovetail.
      Load capacity is approximately up to 4 kg
      Condition is used, but in very good shape. 
      It's comcompletely with 3d printed levelling plate, under tray for accessories, slow motion and locking knobs.
      Mount was completely stripped down, removed factory sticky grease and applied proper grease where applicable.
      Price: £90
      I can post it by Hermes or DPD if you are happy to pay for postage.
      I'll accept PayPal as family/friends or commercial if you'll pay the 3% fee.

• By chrobakx
      I looking for a polar scope for my eq3 or HEQ5 mount
    • By SuburbanMak
      The view from my centre of town garden is both physically & light-pollution restricted. Anything below 25 degrees is out of the question, anything West below 60 degrees behind bright buildings and a huge South-Easterly sycamore tree combines with a neighbour’s security & outdoor fairy-light obsession to make a fairly narrow observing window to say the least.
      The local park about 5 mins away potentially offers a darker & wider alternative which I confirmed this week on a late night dog comfort-break excursion.  All of a sudden, from a spot around the 22 on the rugby pitch, a break in the cloud  presented a full vista of Orion, Taurus, both Canis, Auriga, Gemini, Perseus & Cassiopeia- I was star-struck to the point where my furry companion thought I’d lost it. Messier clusters in Auriga I’d struggled to get in the eyepiece from the garden were immediately visible as naked-eye diamond-dust, the Pleiades sparkled and M42 glowed.  It was ten minutes of magic. 
      Inspired by my mid-week bonus I hatched a plan to head to the park the next time a clear-sky coincided with a non-school night.  Tonight promised a couple of clear hours around midnight but dodgy weather earlier in the evening combined with the feeling that lugging the Mak and tripod to the park might  be tough to justify as a lockdown exercise break, confined me to a late night stroll armed only with my trusty 10x50s. Having overcome the nagging sensation I might be mistaken for some kind of lurking pervert, I set off for the park.  
      In the end I got about 15 minutes  before fog bubbled up from the river. But even this fleeting glimpse allowed me to confirm I can now easily find the Messier clusters in Auriga and put my bins straight onto the double cluster in Perseus, things I’d never seen before lockdown.
      As the fog closed in I took a sweep of the alpha Perseii cluster and Pleiades, my current binocular greatest hits, and headed home happy. 

• By Astrofriend
      I bought two new dew heaters. They are sold to be used on camera lenses and powered from USB. I have modified them to reduce the power from 8 Watt to 2 Watt which will be enough for my demand.
      Some photos and documentation from this project:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-heating-band/05-project-heating-band.html
      This will be battery operated and I try to reduce the power consumtion of the equipment.
      /Lars
    • By Bajastro
      More than a year has passed since the construction of the Low Spec spectrograph in version 2.0 provided by the author of the project (@Paul Gerlach).
      The project provided for the purchase of a ready-made module for illumination of the slit.
      From the beginning, I missed a decent calibration module and slit illumination.
      But why buy something for almost PLN 100, when you can illuminate the slit while building a spectrum calibration module and add additional functionality.
      Everything is great on the "project":

Inside the device:

But the electrical diagram I drew was not correct (I don't know anything about it at the time).
      Not everything worked, so the modifications during soldering and compromises started: D, after a few attempts with soldering and desoldering, my calibration module finally works as it should.
      It was important for me that the calibration standard should be stationary (not moving), and this of the available components on the market only provides an imaging flip mirror with a tilting mirror. 
      It is sold under various brands with T2 threads, so it has a lot of possibilities for mounting various accessories and I made the right module for it. 
      No store in Poland undertook to order it, so I had to buy it on my own (UK).
      RELCO 480 starter spectral lamp:

The cylindrical mirror is a piece of aluminum foil stuck to it for packing sandwiches
      Slit illumination also works:

Finally, only one LED informing that the slit illumination is on (the RELCO lamp with the diode on doesn't work).
      Now it's time to put together the set:

Low Spec with 2 cameras and a calibration module is very big and heavy:

Solar line tests in diffused light on clouds:

RELCO 480 spectral lines have two values, the upper one is measured by calibrating the spectrum with solar lines, and the lower value is taken from
      Richard Walker, CH-Rifferswil, 2017, Glow Starter RELCO SC480 Atlas of Emission Lines, available online: https://www.ursusmajor.ch/downloads/sques-relco-sc480-calibration-lines-5.0.pdf
      The difference between my measurements and the data from the Echelle spectrograph from the above atlas is basically negligible, everywhere smaller than 0.2 Å, which means that on my scale it is below 1 pixel.
      It seems that the construction of the calibration module was successful.
      The calibration module will facilitate a sufficiently accurate calibration of the spectra of faint stars without clear metal spectral lines and in regions where there are no atmospheric oxygen and water absorption lines used for accurate spectral calibration.
      I had to capture pictures quickly because I have a drift on the diffraction grating holder (the spectra move over time).
      Rather, it is loose, there is a micrometer screw and a spring, so the holder isn't very stable.
      I would to improve it next.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.