Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mounts

Hi all I want to upgrade the mount on my Celestron Nexstar 6SE to an Equatorial mount so that i can do more imaging with some deep sky i have been looking at these 2:-

Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro SynScan

Celeston Advanced VX

I may also change the scope at some point so wanted to be able to cope with not only the scope but an auto guider so there maybe a weight issue on these mounts ?

There is also a matter of budget and these do fall into the kind of pennies I wanted to spend but if anyone has any suggestions please help me out and if i need to save more to get better then so be it but didnt really want to push into  a £1000 bracket for the mount.

hope someone can help

cheers in advance guys 

The HEQ5 have been a good work- horse for me over the years and the only down side is the power port is not that good but I put a clip on the mount to hold the cable and it stop it from moving , and good battery or power unit is a must.  easy to use and take a good paid load. that about it for me.

The HEQ5 Por Synscan is a good mount and can be guided for astro-photography.  One more to consider is the NEQ6 SynTrek mount.  This is about £70 more than the HEQ5 Pro Synscan and will make you more or less "future proof" - especially if you may be considering a larger scope (within reason).  Note the Syntrek non-goto configuration.  This is OK if you use EQMOD (freeware) to operate your mount.  It does mean that you will need a computer (a pretty basic laptop will do) - but you will need one for imaging anyway.  (PS You could also use EQMOD with the HEQ5 if you want the additional capabilities that it provides over the handset controls.)

When I did my upgrade to the AZ-EQ6 it was because I know I wanted to do mainly astrophotography. 

So, to answer your question, I'd get the beefiest mount I could afford and hope it lasts for a number of future upgrades for your OTA etc. :happy11:

Archived