Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I want to convert my XT8 DOb into and GoTo and tracking scope, does anybody have any knowledge in that particular area?

Hi, I started with the same setup and converted my dob XT8 to a tracking scope. I bought an EQ mount, it was a HEQ5 at the time. To put the scope on the mount I got a couple of tube rings and a bar that locks onto the mount. I also had to think about a power source so I also got a little 12V car starter pack. Hope that helps.

Not sure that it can be converted from a manual dobsonian to a tracking/goto dobsonian - as in maintaining the dobsonian aspect.

As can be seen the tracking/goto is achieved by using it as a large reflector on a large equitorial mount. Really something around the size of the HEQ5 is required. Although there are 200mm on eq5 - depends on the intended useage. If AP is lurking somewhere get the HEQ5.

When the goto/tracking dobsonians initially came out there was a conversion kit, forn Skywatcher I seem to recall, they seemed to be around for about a year then disappeared. May have been no market, or too difficult to install. But whatever the option disappeared.

Suppose there may be a kit made by someone out there but on the small scale it is likely to be costly and simply buying a new goto dobsonian would be less cost.

Sorry to hijack but I am also wondering this. Lets say we manage to put it on a tracking mount would we still be able to attach a DSLR for astrophotography or would we need to get a webcam? WOuld there be a massive difference between them (I have no idea about astrophotography but thinking of getting into it if possible - I know a Dob is useless)

The only way I currently know of is using Stellarcat and Argo Navis - but they are usually employed on very large dobs of 20" diameter and over, and would be prohibitively expensive for an 8" scope. As suggested above - the most cost effective way is to sell the current scope and buy a ready made goto dob. Hth :)

Three options:

1. As above get a good GEM

2. Go for an equatorial platform

3. see this thread for a DIY option:

(Or use a commercial add-on version as mentioned by Brantuk)

If you want to do photography then the 3rd option will require a field derotator on the focusser.

Nigel

Edited by Astrobits

As another option you may have/have not considered.

have a search for "push to". You could add encoders and a Nexus (astrosystems) will allow you to connect SkySafari over wifi to the scope. After 2 star alignment then SkySafari will show where you are pointing and make finding stuff easier.

it won't help with tracking though :( still need to nudge.

• Like 1

Any push to system is going to cost you around £300 (minimum) once you factor in both encoders and controller. 

Any similar aftermarket motorised GoTo setup will cost the same if not more. If a proper manufacturer provisioned kit can't be sourced you're looking at DIY from modular parts (source steppers, source gears/belts, source controller, work out how to fit to your base)

Essentially it ain't cheap to buy. It IS cheap to make... IF you're a programmer with some mechanical engineering know how & all the kit. If that were the case you wouldn't be raising this thread. So...

Ultimately... as above really - sell it. Buy a GoTo Dob. S'the only simple and economically viable option given the price of current GoTo Dobs.

Edited by Marci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sachman said:

Sorry to hijack but I am also wondering this. Lets say we manage to put it on a tracking mount would we still be able to attach a DSLR for astrophotography or would we need to get a webcam? WOuld there be a massive difference between them (I have no idea about astrophotography but thinking of getting into it if possible - I know a Dob is useless)

Yes, but as per @Astrobits' post, you'd still need a field de-rotator as you're not tracking equatorially (DSLR vs CCD vs webcam is irrelevant - that's down to exposure time which is determined by tracking precision). 

Or you'd need to put the whole lot on a DIY wedge. 

BUT

I doubt any of the domestic GoTo Dobs would handle being on a wedge and dealing with the offset lateral loads for long without adding tapered bearings everywhere.

EQPs are a null-start with GoTo. Too complex as you'd have to disable tracking on the GoTo once target located, hand over to the EQP til it reaches end of travel, break for a rewind, reinitialise and re-align the GoTo (unless the EQP is _precision_ made), repeat. 

An EQP on it's own has no GoTo ability, but will track a located object [if precisely aligned], but generally not precisely enough for long exposure AP unless guided, and for an EQP that can be guided - dig deep or built it yourself. Only choices. EQPs are inherently a DIY endeavour anyway, best suited to visual or very casual one-shot AP.

Edited by Marci

The Skywatcher Dob 8" & 10" Synscan Upgrade kits still seems to be kicking about in Canada for 1200CanDollars + shipping, but these are basically an entire replacement base if I recall correctly, and may not suit the Orion OTA.

Thanks for the replies - I think I'm more confused lol. 

Don't get the derotator and focuser

I know it's unlikley to get it to work but

Could I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000XMXSO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A4LX3B782PNX0

Then do I need some sort of 'goto' kit or something to buy on top - would that work?

Would a DSLR even attach to my scope?

On a Skywatcher 200p, a T-thread for DSLRs is built in to the focus tube adapter. Just screws straight on once you've gotten a T-ring adapter for your DSLR.

For your typical 8" / 1200mm Dob, you'd need an NEQ6 Pro mount, Fast 400mm FL guidescope & guide camera rigidly mounted, PHD2 running on a laptop to handle guiding.

And ideally your own thread as this is way offtopic.

Edited by Marci
  • Like 2

• 3 years later...