Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Rubbish weather for the last new moon and this one isn't looking promising. Out once this autumn up to now :mellow:

I have not been out for at least 6 weeks September was awful never known it so bad and two weeks in October are no better rubbish weather just hope November brings frost and clear nights.

• Like 1

Bad new guys. I contacted the site to ask about extending my booking to the Sunday evening, and the reply I got was they are going to have to cancel it :(

They have had nothing but rain and it has made the field un-campable.

Expect an email or phone call from Lesley soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( :crybaby2: :clouds2::(  (There are too many happy emoticons and not enough ones expressing sadness)

7 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Bad new guys. I contacted the site to ask about extending my booking to the Sunday evening, and the reply I got was they are going to have to cancel it :(

They have had nothing but rain and it has made the field un-campable.

Expect an email or phone call from Lesley soon.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :( :crybaby2: :clouds2::(  (There are too many happy emoticons and not enough ones expressing sadness)

Hi Rocky,

Which Sunday are you talking about?

The SP isn't for another month (Wed 15th - Mon 20th Nov). I am sure that Leslie and Ralf have had more than their fair share of rain - storms Ofelia and Brian ( he's not a storm, he's a very naughty boy).

There is still time for the site to dry out. Only thing that may throw a spanner in the work is if the site has been badly chewed up by visitors over the last couple of months. I am sure this is something that Leslie and Ralf will take in their stride.

If you are right, I and I am sure others, will be very disappointed ?

3 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Rocky,

The SP isn't for another month (Wed 15th - Mon 20th Nov). I am sure that Leslie and Ralf have had more than their fair share of rain - storms Ofelia and Brian ( he's not a storm, he's a very naughty boy).

There is still time for the site to dry out. Only thing that may throw a spanner in the work is if the site has been badly chewed up by visitors over the last couple of months. I am sure this is something that Leslie and Ralf will take in their stride.

Hi Ian,

yes, it was for the Star Party weekend in November - maybe give her a call and confirm what's going on. But yes, disappointment all round I feel. 

Lee

10 minutes ago, Uplooker said:

Hi Rocky,

Wonder if she has informed Mike I'll get in touch with him 

Morning All,having had a long conversation with Lesley we have no option but to CANCEL the Autumn Galloway Star camp,the situation has arisen as most of you will be aware of,by the constant rain which has plagued the Soth West of Scotland,

The field has been waterlogged for the last five weeks and the weather shows no sign of change,in any case the field will not dry out in time,but,more importantly as no traffic has been allowed on the field it will be available when it finally dries up.without damage! hugely important for the  business.

Lesley and Ralph are understandably upset,but will do their utmost to make the site ready for the Spring 2018 Star Camp.

Anyone who has paid a deposit should contact the campsite where a full refund will be issued.

I have to add my own dissapointment but in nine years this is the only time we have had to cancel,i know how hard Lesley and Ralph work to give us a very well established and well supported events in usually pristine countryside,i`m sure you will appreciate this was a very hard descision for them to make and offer your continuing support.

There is as we speak a flood warning out in the vicinity of the campsie,my thoughts and good wishes go out to them.

We know they will bounce back for more even better Star Camps.

Thank you for your understanding.

Any questions just email me.

Regards

Mike

• Sad 4

Just now, mapstar said:

Well peeved 

I know! Not good for you other respects as you will have a non- stop drive to Skye

Really sad, but I know Lesley and Ralph will have thought long and hard about this. I hope they stay safe with all the flood warnings about in their neck of the woods. Look forward to the spring camp.

• Like 1

Not good but on an upbeat, I can now book 2 weeks for spring one instead of the 1 week, and leaves plenty time to play out back garden with some new kit before using it for real at Galloway. Sure there is other places to go but our great weather systems have all but turned the west coast of Scotland into a swamp, and I am sure all the guys that have previously been to Galloway camp will admit it is kind a special, both the skies, lesley and Ralph and all who attend it.  Not the mention the pie/peas supper???

• Like 1

Disappointing but understandable given the circumstances. 

See you all in the spring instead?  :)

• Like 1

We'll a show I was not able to go to the autumn star camp it is not going to bother me, but very disappointing for all those who were going to attend. I could see the writing on the wall for some time as I watched all the weather reports carefully. I know Mike is bitterly disappointed, but it can't be helped. It would have been a welcome break for him due to his house move. Now he is just going to have to put up with me winding him up. :hello:

Just  pray for good weather before the spring event. I hope to see you all at some point during that star party.

Derek

• Like 3

BLOODY HELL!! Gutted tbh but can understand, we've all be counting down since the date was announced...aw well hope the spring one is better than last time ......adios amigos>

Hi David,

Rain seems to be the order of the day.

I was up in Seawhaite in Borrowdale  (Lake District) in mid-October, the weather was miserable,  heavy rain and hurricane winds, the places where streams are usually present, were replaced by waterfalls, Derwentwater had flooded the marsh land to the south, the River Derwent near the village of Grange had overflowed it's banks. Many trees growing in the lake and river. I got soaked, the ground was very mushy. Spoke to a farmer, he was concerned about his sheeps' feet being in soaked fields getting foot rot.

I can understand why Lesley has had to cancel the November Star Party, I know that she loves having us along, but given the amount of rain they have had since August, the campsite usually drains well, but there are limits. Just hope that the Spring Star Party will be a great success, with crystal clear skies, pies and mushy peas, and some soft drinks like whiskey.

I will definitely miss meeting up with you mad lot!

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 1

Got a message from Lesley about the November starcamp... bad news but good call Mike & Lesley....under the circumstances! :fish::clouds2:

Just seen Lesley's text message, boo hoo, but it just means I'll be pining for the Spring camp....

This is awful news, we've all been struggling and it's great to have something to look forward to. Everyone welcome to join a few of us , EHU and hard standing for vehicles , Nick.

IMG_5266.JPG.53a0dd14ad615d2402bb680c8ba72705.JPG

• Like 2

As there was no autumn GSP me, Damian and one other had to get an Astro fix so we had a couple of days camping in the Yorkshire Dales.

The skies were not quite as dark as Drumroamin but still good and allowed us to see plenty of Leonids, galaxies, nebulas and Uranus.

The Friday night was not as kind to us weather wise so we thought it was only right to raise a glass to the Galloway Star Party that might have been.

Please note that no pies where harmed during the making of this picture.

How's about that then?

IMG_0944.JPG

• Like 8
  • Haha 2