Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Took a punt Lidl Bins

As stated in another post my local Lidl was doing 8x60 hunting bins at £19.99 but as it was last weeks offer they were selling at 30% off to clear so got them for £13.99 ( got last pair tho)

http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/lidl/pbwlj/

Tried in shop and they seem very clear no double image which was my 1st fear , also seem well made  . Ok so dont feel as nice as my Nikon Action EX bins but at 1/10th cost lol

Also tried them at home and they do seem to be really quite good no gritty feeling focusing etc , just need clear skies to try them at stars etc

12 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

thats good to know as in the past its happened to a couple of bins i had 

It happened to a pair of Lidl bins I'd bought too, but fortunately a chap at one of the local astro clubs had recently given a demonstration on how to collimate binoculars. Took just a few minutes to get them working fine again :)

All you need is a tripod & adaptor, and a jewellers screwdriver.

1 hour ago, furrysocks2 said:

I got a pair a few years ago - if I remember correctly, when comparing them with my father's Lidl 10x50s, the 8x60s actually have a slightly smaller field of view than the 10x50s. But good enough for not a lot.

Hope you enjoy them!

more i play with them the more i like and am impressed by them

• 3 weeks later...

Ok right time of reckoning

I tried them out on couple of patchy cloudy nights (Through the gaps)and they are not bad if i hadnt got the Nikon action 12x50 i would really like them (not  knowing better)

But they ar'nt quite as bright which considering they are 60mm objective with 4x less magnification was disapointing i did expect a brighter image although smaller than the Nikons image

I looked at both Orion nebula (m42) and Andromeda galaxy (m31) although having found Andromeda with the Nikons and saw it fairly well i did struggle to find it with the 8x60's  and when found was'nt very bright 

After saying that for 14 Quid they arnt bad but then again the Nikons are 10x the price . If on a budget not to bad a pair of bins and similar weight to the Nikons

Did i mention i really like my Nikons

On 08/01/2017 at 09:25, BritAngler said:

It happened to a pair of Lidl bins I'd bought too, but fortunately a chap at one of the local astro clubs had recently given a demonstration on how to collimate binoculars. Took just a few minutes to get them working fine again :)

All you need is a tripod & adaptor, and a jewellers screwdriver.

Hi,

I really would appreciate a demo.  Can you post a couple of pics or a description?  I have an old pair of minolta roof prism bins that have gotten out of collimation.

thanks

John

The main gist of it is to first try to work out which of the prisms has gone out of alignment. Under the lining near the prism you will find one or two small screws (usually just the one on each side); these are often dipped in screw-lock before being screwed in so can be a little stiff to turn at first but should still be easy enough to move. Then it's just a matter of turning the screw(s) until both images line up. The bloke at the astro-club who demonstrated it deliberately took his bins out of alignment and let each of us take turns to collimate them, it really does take just a minute or two to achieve :)

John

PS Where are you in Yorkshire?

21 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Ok right time of reckoning

I tried them out on couple of patchy cloudy nights (Through the gaps)and they are not bad if i hadnt got the Nikon action 12x50 i would really like them (not  knowing better)

But they ar'nt quite as bright which considering they are 60mm objective with 4x less magnification was disapointing i did expect a brighter image although smaller than the Nikons image

I looked at both Orion nebula (m42) and Andromeda galaxy (m31) although having found Andromeda with the Nikons and saw it fairly well i did struggle to find it with the 8x60's  and when found was'nt very bright 

After saying that for 14 Quid they arnt bad but then again the Nikons are 10x the price . If on a budget not to bad a pair of bins and similar weight to the Nikons

Did i mention i really like my Nikons

I got my Orion 20x80s 2 days ago and saw M31 and M42 for the first time with my own eyes ?...Wow! I went from £6 8x21 Tesco specials to the 20x80s...

"It was worth the neck ache in the morning" is about as clean as I can speak on here about my experience ? I'd recommend these big binoculars to anyone,without having a comparison...they are AWESOME!

IMG-20170126-WA0002.jpg

2 hours ago, BritAngler said:

The main gist of it is to first try to work out which of the prisms has gone out of alignment. Under the lining near the prism you will find one or two small screws (usually just the one on each side); these are often dipped in screw-lock before being screwed in so can be a little stiff to turn at first but should still be easy enough to move. Then it's just a matter of turning the screw(s) until both images line up. The bloke at the astro-club who demonstrated it deliberately took his bins out of alignment and let each of us take turns to collimate them, it really does take just a minute or two to achieve :)

John

PS Where are you in Yorkshire?

Hi John, I'm in Wetherby. Which society did you go to?  I've been thinking about the York or Leeds Associations. 

John

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:05, westmarch said:

Hi John, I'm in Wetherby. Which society did you go to?  I've been thinking about the York or Leeds Associations. 

John

I belong to three, one in Beverley, one in Brough and one on the south bank of the Humber. Leeds and York are a bit too far from me for a casual drive out to an astro club :(

John

yeh agreed they are good value for money bins appear to be well made and feel rugged

maybe i expected to much from the 8x60's i got but i did find them not as bright as my Nikons 

i knew they were going to be a smaller image but did expect it to be brighter considering 60mm objective as against 50mm

had i not got the Nikons i would have been extremly happy with them

On 25/01/2017 at 23:55, westmarch said:

I really would appreciate a demo.  Can you post a couple of pics or a description?

Already been done. See:

Also, I wrote an article on this for last April's S@N mag. PM me if you want a copy.

Archived