Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS WITH ONLY SMARTPHONE CAMERA

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:icon_scratch:

Can you please let us know how you managed to do this?

I can barely take a fuzzy picture of the Moon with my iPhone when it is attached to a telescope never mind something that is moving quickly across the sky with the iPhone zoomed in to the maximum :eek:

I don't think I have seen a clearer picture of the ISS from any sort of equipment. This is quite remarkable - well done!

It's an excellent picture, I assume you must have used some form of lens attachment in the phone to get enough image scale? Phone cameras certainly are coming on amazinglly these days.

Thanks for your comments, I only used the smartphone with its objective, 8 megapixel 4x zoom NGM NOW, acquiring the video in 3gp and then converted with the pc to avi, I utilized only Registax to manually find the best frame, I made a resize the image, and then I worked with photoshop, without utilize telescope or eyepieces.

There are lenses produced that can be attached to mobile phones.  I would assume the OP has had one of those attached to his phone and thereby produced an  afocal  image,  possibly could achieve that resolution.  That said,  I still remain skeptical. 

1 hour ago, robj64 said:

Incredible, but that's what I managed to get!
I hope to repeat the result next time.

Rob,

As you can see from a number of the comments above there is a fair amount of skepticism about whether or not this is true.

Can you please expand on exactly how you took this photograph and what the specification of the camera is?

At 250 miles above your head the ISS has a tiny angular size which would not take up very many pixels. It is also moving at thousands of miles per hour so focusing to the level you seem to have achieved is somewhat astonishing.

Just to put this in perspective, what you claim to have achieved is the equivalent of me taking a recognisable picture of Edinburgh Castle using a smartphone from my bedroom window in Chesterfield :eek: {assuming I had line of sight}

Please help us believe this is true.

Derek

Not possible to achieve that image scale armed with an unaided phone .

At it's nearest the ISS is 400km above you when directly overhead , from the details listed the ISS was in fact 1200km from the observer at around 15 degrees elevation in the North.

35 minutes ago, DRT said:

Just to put this in perspective, what you claim to have achieved is the equivalent of me taking a recognisable picture of Edinburgh Castle using a smartphone from my bedroom window in Chesterfield :eek: {assuming I had line of sight}

Funny you should say that.  This was taken from Kent with my Galaxy S7 :icon_jokercolor:

edinburgh-castle-winter-time.jpg

8 minutes ago, RayD said:

Funny you should say that.  This was taken from Kent with my Galaxy S7 :icon_jokercolor:

edinburgh-castle-winter-time.jpg

Don't tell porkys , you'd never get that shot from Kent , you'd have to be standing nigh on due west of the castle to get that view ... :happy8:

Just now, Steve Ward said:

Don't tell porkys , you'd never get that shot from Kent , you'd have to be standing nigh on due west of the castle to get that view ... :happy8:

Ah, that's the West side is it (didn't think of that)?  Ok I lied and I've been rumbled :happy11:

Archived