Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So what do we do we go outside to do.....?

JOC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife says I'm out 'nerding' ;)

She has never looked through my scope, despite me waxing lyrical about seeing the beauty of Saturn's rings with your very own eyes :rolleyes:

She's very tolerant of it all though, to be fair.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Stargazing works for me.

If I'm meeting my astronomy club, my Mrs usually says 'ah, you are off to see your funny little friends are you?' ;) 

"Funny little friends!" I like that!

"Strange" is probably more applicable when referring to the oddities that scurry across the floor at my local club, and I'm being kind! It makes me look normal! :icon_albino:

Mike

For me its usually "going out to see whatever there is to see, assuming the skies are still clear" or some such phrase. Many is the time I'm back in 5 minutes later "guess what?".I don't think I need to be apologetic or be excused or account for what I do. Its a significant interest I have. if I'm not out under the stars "doing it"or some other related practical job, I'm reading about it, thinking about or on here, but there are also other things in my life that are also very significant. What ever label you want to put on it , interest, past time hobby, lifestyle choice, whatever, the only significant meaning is what it means to me and those I love. 

10 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I dont do labels (i have enough of them in life being Irish,red-headed,disabled and ugly as sin, to boot)..........

I consider myself as an "astronomer". Not a "star gazer" or anything else you care to call it.

Labels  can be and too often are applied and made to stick giving rise to much pain and anguish something I'm all too aware of having spent most of my working career in various aspects of social care (with all the labels that unfortunately involves -clients, patients,service users .. etc).  A set of ideas and activities, though, whether we like it or not usually winds up with some kind of collective label on them in order to make some kind of coherent  reference to them in every day conversation. Without getting bogged down in semantics, I think its fairly easy to convey a sense of good will and respect, and perhaps even a little gentle humour  in the way, with care, we choose and use such labels, and certainly I would have thought its not out of place on a forum like this.

13 hours ago, westmarch said:

Recently, I've been going out and freezing my nuts and bolts off.

Isn't that part of the deal this time of year with crystal clear frost skies (lol)? Even if I've not had the views I would have liked, I feel so much better knowing that I've at least endured at least a little discomfort, (best not get too self indulgent here) for my pleasures.

When I have to haul myself off of the sofa in order to go to the observatory that generally means that something has gone wrong, disconnected, not connecting............. etc and so my grumbles and comments as I go out are not suitable for a family forum :D 

i don't go out, its kinda hard with the straightjacket being chained to the bed :icon_biggrin:, No  I carnt go out through the day due to Lupus" sols trying to kill me" and my knees are Well lets say don't work very good, so I can count how many times on one hand I get my kit outside a year, so 99% of any astro activitys are done from my second floor open obsyroom window which ant so bad as 82% of the sky is visable through out the year.  clear skys,  charl.

11 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Im 43 yrs old. Ive been observing the night sky since i was 6 yrs old.

I am single (i have my mother living with me for about the last year).

I answer to nobody. I do what i do,when i want.

Astronomy to me is not a "hobby". Never has been nor ever will be. Ive been doing it so long now...........its part of me, and who i am as a person.

Its always been there, and nobody can or will ever take it away from me.

Astronomy is not a "hobby"...........its a life style.

It sounds like you've got the steely cold bravery of a single man Luke! ?

Wasn't it the great marriage guidance councillor Ken Dodd who said something along these lines, " A married man is the same as a single man, but with his spine removed!?"

To be honest, in the 37 years of being with the same lass, she's never once tried to prevent me from observing, but I always give her the option to do so. And if she said she'd rather I didn't go out, then I would willingly do as she asked.  ?= :brave: = :icon_biggrin:

Mike

3 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It sounds like you've got the steely cold bravery of a single man Luke! ?

Wasn't it the great marriage guidance councillor Ken Dodd who said something along these lines, " A married man is the same as a single man, but with his spine removed!?"

To be honest, in the 37 years of being with the same lass, she's never once tried to prevent me from observing, but I always give her the option to do so. And if she said she'd rather I didn't go out, then I would willingly do as she asked.  ?= :brave: = :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Two words: Floppy Bear.

:happy11:

laser_jock99 - very pretty!  In fact I've been looking at lots of the threads with photos that are on here and I am incredibly impressed - some of you are def. 'professional' amateurs - many of the pictures are that good I'd expect to find them on NASA's website.  I know my kit won't produce anything as good, but I'm going to try taking some photo's of M42 when I get a clear night and cjdawson has promised in another thread to talk me through stacking etc. to see if I can get something pleasing.  I guess if I can get it going I could then say I was off out to do 'photography!!!'  However, the relevance of that term would be directly linked to any potential results LOL

8 hours ago, iPeace said:

Two words: Floppy Bear.

:happy11:

Floppy says he'd give you the thumbs up, but he hasn't got any thumbs! Hickory, Dickory and Doc, who live on the top of the grandfather clock are in full agreement too!

As you can see, I live in a Mad House! :icon_geek:

Mke

2017-01-07 14.05.41.jpg

I usually say, Right, I'm gonna to set up!  That's all it takes.

Mrs. Sweeper than advises me to be careful - well, I did  drop the 8SE a couple of weeks ago!

Best of all, she later helps me get all the stuff back indoors.  How lucky am I?

Doug.

2 hours ago, JOC said:

laser_jock99 - very pretty!  In fact I've been looking at lots of the threads with photos that are on here and I am incredibly impressed - some of you are def. 'professional' amateurs - many of the pictures are that good I'd expect to find them on NASA's website.  I know my kit won't produce anything as good, but I'm going to try taking some photo's of M42 when I get a clear night and cjdawson has promised in another thread to talk me through stacking etc. to see if I can get something pleasing.  I guess if I can get it going I could then say I was off out to do 'photography!!!'  However, the relevance of that term would be directly linked to any potential results LOL

Thanks- though my astrophotos very much of the 'point & shoot' minimal effort category. All quick DSLR shots (with the benefit of an observatory in the middle of Wales). Now- some of the guy's (and gals) work on here really is in a different league with hours or even days worth of data and even longer in processing. Their work is indeed APOD/world class astrophotography.

Astronomising I call it.  I even get brought a cuppa tea in my warm room (shed).   

Her + dog: I brought you some tea.

Me: thanks.

Her: How's it going?

Me: OK or grumble grumble grumble depending on circumstances. 

Her: It all looks very complicated. Night dear. See you in the morning. 

Archived