Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So what do we do we go outside to do.....?

JOC

I thought this had the potential to turn into a bit of fun.

So we are engaged in astronomy, but how do you phrase it?

i.e. To your significant other "OK, dear I'm just off out to go....................................."

'and do some astronomy'

'telescoping'

'viewing'

'observing'

Something else?  It's most incorrect, but I find myself leaning towards 'telescoping' for some reason.  Or how would your SO describe what you are engaged in?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife just asks me "are you going out?" She isn't too sure quite what I do as the first half hour has me coming in and out the house setting up then another half hour straddling the scope and the laptop drift aligning with PHD.

Then it's me huddled over the laptop watching the guiding trend and each image as it downloads, I don't think she has ever seen me looking through the scope which I guess is what she was expecting when I took up the hobby.

She has got good at looking at Clear Outside and the BBC Weather app so has a good inkling on if I am going to go out for a while....

Im 43 yrs old. Ive been observing the night sky since i was 6 yrs old.

I am single (i have my mother living with me for about the last year).

I answer to nobody. I do what i do,when i want.

Astronomy to me is not a "hobby". Never has been nor ever will be. Ive been doing it so long now...........its part of me, and who i am as a person.

Its always been there, and nobody can or will ever take it away from me.

Astronomy is not a "hobby"...........its a life style.

LukeSkywatcher - so you would favour "I'm off out to do some astronomy" then? 

What I'm getting at is that most occupations have an '-ing' word that applies.  For example for people whose lives could revolve around equestrian pursuits as yours does the stars, they say they are out riding, people go cooking, running, cycling, skating, skiing, climbing, building but I've been fighting to find an appropriate '-ing' word for what we do and assumed that people must have made up their own - which sounds quite fun, for me at the moment 'I'm off our telescoping', but its a rather unwieldy word for everyday use, so I wonder what other folks used.  In no way do I want to denigrate anything that anyone does, I was just interested in how other folks dealt with it.  Just a little fun, nothing else. 

1 minute ago, JOC said:

What I'm getting at is that most occupations have an '-ing' word that applies.  For example for people whose lives could revolve around equestrian pursuits as yours does the stars, they say they are out riding, people go cooking, running, cycling, skating, skiing, climbing, building but I've been fighting to find an appropriate '-ing' word for what we do and assumed that people must have made up their own - which sounds quite fun, for me at the moment 'I'm off our telescoping', but its a rather unwieldy word for everyday use, so I wonder what other folks used.  In no way do I want to denigrate anything that anyone does, I was just interested in how other folks dealt with it.  Just a little fun, nothing else. 

Observing is the word you're looking for. 

Cloud dodging's better though

14 minutes ago, JOC said:

"Enjoying" applies for me.

:happy11:

On the equestrian side, the actual riding is an even smaller proportion of time spent with the beasties than looking through the eyepiece is to astronomy. It's more "horsing around".

:tongue2:

10 hours ago, JOC said:

I thought this had the potential to turn into a bit of fun.

It occurs to me that it's not easy to state one's intent more clearly than this. In the very first sentence of the original post. Should be easy enough to get into that spirit. Works for me.

:happy11:

Archived