Need help aligning

It's not necessary to align using the scale on the right ascension or declination axes.  

Before we start it would be handy to know what sort of mount you have, is it GOTO and does it have a polar scope. Also whether you're aligning to observe or plan to image in due course. The former doesn't need much accuracy but the latter does.  Have you looked at the manual yet?  

On 6 January 2017 at 21:52, Bribrum said:

It's not a go to. 

I just intend observing not that bothered at the moment about images etc

OK.  Have you tried  googling something like how to align an equitorial mount YouTube.  There are loads of short videos on YouTube of people showing how to set up and align an eq mount.  If it's still not clear ask away here. :).  

Not sure if this is the right place to post but my goto mount acting abit strange last night when trying to align using starsense. Kept trying to slew down at alarming angle and had to abort several times. Never had this problem before

I have an eq mount but on the Dec axis the numbers go from 0-9 and continue around 

I'm going to sound stupid but I was expecting to see degrees

any help is very much appreciated 

Without seeing the scale I guess someone has decided that the "0" after 1, 2, 3, etc can be ignored, in effect 1, 2, 3 should be read as 10, 20, 30  etc. Maybe the ring is too small.

When you align simply then set the mount level, not specifically required owing to how the rotation is performed but unless it is level the latutude scale is irrelevant as the scale relies on it being level. If you set the Latitude scale to 52 but the mount is not level by 10 degrees then the latitude of 52 is also 10 degrees out.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but my goto mount acting abit strange last night when trying to align using starsense. Kept trying to slew down at alarming angle and had to abort several times. Never had this problem before 

Going to be better as a seperate post likely here again, section not thread, or in the Mounts section itself. More chance of being read as an individual problem and so getting an answer/solution. Present this looks to be part of help aligning, not problem occuring with aligning with Starsense.

Archived