Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

PESKYWAABBIT

Astronomy Clubs in Suffolk, nearer to Bury St Edmunds than Ipswich?

Hi there guys in Sunny Suffolk,

I've been into astronomy for a few years here and there. Recently though wanting to get more into the hobby and upgraded my kit.

Currently based in Bardwell. I'm on the look out for a Star Gazing club in the Bury area if somebody knows of one. I currently commute to Cambridge and back for work (80 miles each day, can be like 3-4 hours in total due to the dismal traffic system in Cambridge.) At the end of the day I don't really fancy loading my gear up to do another 60 miles to Ipswich and back to visit the astronomy clubs there so I'm in need of help.

I see there is clubs in Ely, however I would rather not leave all of my kit sitting in my car in the city centre unattended whilst I'm working for 6 hours if you understand.

Do you guys know of some awesome people based closer to Bury that collect together some nights? Would like to meet some of you guys for a session of star gazing and learning.

Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

There is the IoA in Cambridge, Madingly Rd, that hold weekly Wednesday talks+. Then if clear they appear to go outside for a presentation by the CAA. It is not a club however - would suggest that you make the effort to visit on a Wednesday and see what happens, from memory get there by 7:00 to get a seat. If you pick a clear Wednesday then you would also get to see what occurs afterwards at the presentation.

As it is not a club it is different.

The CAA meet at the same place on a Friday, once a month but no observing as such. So not I guess what you want.

As you have said there is Ely and there is (or was) Papworth. Guess St Neots, if they still run, is too far.

Looking at the map you may be better to try Attleborough: BSE > Thetford > Attleborough. Just North of Attleborough is Gt Ellingham and here is a fairly large club there with an observatory. It is on the Norh edge of the place at the cricket ground (on the right going through the place). The drive seems easy, and looks like 20-25 mile each way. Thinking that as they are, or seem, reasonably large they could meet on several evenings for observing. Giving you a better selection of oppurtunities.

http://www.brecklandastro.org.uk/

Not sure there is anything at Diss, half a memory of one.

I suggest visiting the IoA say this Wednesday, looks like it might actually be clear, but cold. However I suspect that the Breckland club will be a better option.

Literally by chance I just found there is an astronomy club called the 'The Athenaeum Astronomy Association' located in central Bury St Edmunds.

It seems they keep themselves to themselves! I may have to check this out :) It seems they are trying to raise funds to restore the Victorian observatory dome for public use. It seems they meet at Nowton park fortnightly on thursdays!

http://www.3a.org.uk/index.htm

15492448_718135028339281_8138374054404242945_n.jpg.3879d43099bcbc315715d94aab73a55a.jpg

Edited by PESKYWAABBIT
  • Like 2

Looks an interesting group, and when it is cloudy you can work on the observatory - which looks a great building to get back into work order.

Hi Tom,  I too have just discovered the AAA in Bury by pure chance ! They are a very new club. I went along for the first time on Thursday evening, it was a bit chaotic as they were locked out of their usual building, lovely people and we were made very welcome. About 20 people present, all ages . They are running their first star party tonight for 60 guests , unfortunately it's tipping it down in Suffolk today! Hopefully meet you in Nowton park soon then! I think it's wonderful news that they want to restore the old Athaneum observatory .

Ruth ( I'm from nr Diss, took a friend with me from Sapiston! ) 

Edited by Tigaroo

On 17 March 2017 at 22:17, PESKYWAABBIT said:

Literally by chance I just found there is an astronomy club called the 'The Athenaeum Astronomy Association' located in central Bury St Edmunds.

It seems they keep themselves to themselves! I may have to check this out :) It seems they are trying to raise funds to restore the Victorian observatory dome for public use. It seems they meet at Nowton park fortnightly on thursdays!

http://www.3a.org.uk/index.htm

15492448_718135028339281_8138374054404242945_n.jpg.3879d43099bcbc315715d94aab73a55a.jpg

If you drop the secretary Marian an email you will receive a quick and friendly response ??

20 hours ago, Tigaroo said:

Hi Tom,  I too have just discovered the AAA in Bury by pure chance ! They are a very new club.

I know right! I found them by seeing their Nowton park event on Facebook appearing nearby but it seemed to have been fully booked :( I was looking up at the stars last night and noticing the weather actually stayed okay and I could see some stars peeping through so I hope the guests had a great time! 

I'm glad we were able to find a club nearby to help us learn :) I'm from Bardwell, it's nearer to Thetford than it is Bury I guess but I hope to see you at Nowton park too someday soon then!

Hopefully the discovery of the club and posting it on here may bring some more locals in from Suffolk to the AAA. :) 

Their next meeting at Nowton Park walled garden is on Thursday week , I hope to be there then! Yep, I missed out on tickets for the star party too, I was told about it and the club at Sneezum's in Bury, they were promoting it as they sell telescopes in there. There were four newcomers last week so guess word is getting around ! It's a bit of a hike for me from Diss but I do travel to Bury often. 

Hoping to learn some new stuff too, and enjoy swapping information ....and basically natter with like-minded passionate people as I'm a bit of a lone wolf in my family when it comes to enjoying the night skies!  ?

We have a mutual friend on social media, a lad I know very well! Small world ?

1 minute ago, Tigaroo said:

We have a mutual friend on social media, a lad I know very well! Small world

Hehe feel free to add me if you like! 

I've sent Marian an email and I'm organising a drink and a chat with them at some point to learn some history about the club. I've also been asked to come on the 30th for the Nowton Park meetup, so hopefully should see you there if you're attending!

• Like 1

That's progress! Said you would get a prompt reply, there's a couple of lads, bit younger than you but very keen ! Ah, just realised I'm away in York next week so won't be there, make my apologies  ... hope you get on okay and hopefully see you there next month ! 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 10:23, SW130p said:

This one in Ipswich http://www.oasi.org.uk/  great location and activity's. Has a full working  258 mm Tomline Refractor, dating from 1874.

I'm a member there, the big refractor is really beautiful though more and more folks from the club meet at Newbourne village hall. Access to the Orwell site where the Tomlin frac is can be pretty tricky as it's a private school so there are understandably a few security measures to bypass. 

• Like 2

Again, like the others, I found this club by accident. It just happened to pop up on a re-tweet on Twitter. 

So, I went visiting the Athenaeum club at Nowton Park  last Thursday, 18/01/2018. I was made very welcome and soon learned that they cover all aspects of astronomy, including unaided night sky viewing, binocular,  telescope and astro photography. 

I shall visit again on Thursday 1st Feb and sign on the dotted line. This beats my lone astro endeavours into a cocked hat. 

Thanks to club members for their welcome.

Kevin

On 20 January 2018 at 19:17, Bosuser said:

I shall visit again on Thursday 1st Feb and sign on the dotted line. This beats my lone astro endeavours into a cocked hat. 

Look forward to meeting you there soon Kevin! I wasn't able to go this week but should be there next time ?

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Froeng
      It is not often in the UK that we have a bank holiday weekend, a new moon and a clear sky at the same time. Last night was one of those rare occasions! The forecast (Clear Outside) was not very definitive about the cloud cover, but from looking at the satellite images and from experience, I thought this could be a magnificent sky as we were on the backside of the last weather front.
      So, I thought – let’s give it a go, we could be rewarded.

By 9pm the car was packed with the C8 and my trusty Vixen SP-DX. A quick check on my friend Steve, and yes, he was up for it, too. Steve is a beginner, so I offered to show him some of the objects I am familiar with and should give a decent view under good conditions. I also wanted to see some of the fainter galaxies which populate the spring skies.

The spot we were planning on using is in Southern Cambridgeshire – and compared to light polluted London and St Albans, this looks like “Deep-Sky-Country”, although it actually isn’t perfect. It’s the improvement from the home conditions that count!
      On the way, I cranked up the aircon to maximum (lowest temp) to pre-cool the scope. This was going to be a chilly night…

Arrived at the spot just after 10pm, Steve parked up five minutes later. Thankfully the wind that had battered the South East the whole day had eased off and the remnants of daytime clouds soon hurried to disappear. I spent some time building up the scope and polar aligning while the last bits of twilight disappeared.
      The sky was now fully dark and really quite impressive considering how close to London this place still is. To the South the capital’s light dome stretched to about 20° above the horizon. Cambridge cast its lights in the North-East although to a much lesser degree.

The spring constellations were up to the South with Leo having passed the meridian and the plough right above us in the zenith. We started the evening with a simple target to warm up – M3. A delightful sparkle of stars filled the eyepiece. With the 15mm LV (133x) the core was starting to be resolved - the telescope was not completely cooled down yet, but this was indeed a good starter to the night indeed.

Next, we changed direction and pointed at M51, which clearly showed the two galaxy nuclei and the surrounding disc of haziness with direct vision. No spiral structure visible (but that wasn’t really expected with 8” anyway). The pair was nicely framed in the 30mm NLVW (68x) with a foreground star in NGC5194 clearly discernible.
      As spring is galaxy season we pushed the scope over to Denebola in Leo to go hunting for members of the Virgo cluster.
      We started with M98, which was a fuzzy faint blob and a bit disappointing. Next object was M99, which was much more pronounced although without any detail in the 30mm. Over to M84 and the starting point of Markarian’s chain. Using the 40mm Celestron Axiom eyepiece (70° afov) four galaxies were immediately visible. There was a bright one in the bottom of the view (M84), with a slightly bigger one in the centre (M86) and a pair of two distinct but faint galaxies to the top (NGC4435/38). Slewing along a bit further, NGC4458 became visible. An incredible sight, especially if you imagine how many millions of light years these are away from us and how big these objects are!
      We did not follow the rest of the chain (have to revisit this again!), but instead decided to look at something brighter.

M81/82 were right over head and simply amazing. Directly viewed, both fit into the eyepiece at 50x magnification (40mm Axiom). M81 clearly an elongated, lens shaped disc. M82 showed as a thick streak of light. Ramping up the magnification to 133x (15mm LV), it revealed its knotted structure with direct vision! It has been a long time since I had seen M82 this clearly. The sky was indeed rather good!
      To get a bit of variety, I moved the scope to the owl (M97). In went the Lumicon OIII Filter. In the 15mm LV, the sky background turned into an inky black with the stars taking on a slightly reddish colour. The nebula stood out like it was cut out of cardboard! While gazing at it for a little while longer, we were able to see some texture inside the “disc” of the nebula – hints of the owl eyes.
      As the filter was in, we decided look at another planetary – M57 the ring in Lyra. About 50° above the horizon, a clear ring shape with a dark interior was visible against a black sky (thanks to the filter) - beautifully defined and clear! Next up was M13, the great Hercules globular cluster and it was sparkling with the lights of millions of suns. An extremely contrasty view, resolved into the core…

Suddenly we realised some clouds had started to appear, coming in from the North and beginning to cover parts of the North-Eastern sky. So we changed direction (yet again), to look at more galaxies. The whale (NGC4631) was faint, but clearly defined in shape, really resembling a maritime. Unfortunately, we did not look out for NGC 4627, the whale’s companion.
      NGC4656 – the hockey stick, was faintly visible with averted vision, but no clear shape discernible.
      NGC4565 – the Needle was starting to get blocked out by a thin layer of high clouds at around 11.45pm. A slightly disappointing sight. By this time, the finder had already dewed up and the first patched of haze were forming on the corrector plate of the C8.

The sky was now also covered over more and more, so we decided to end the evening at this point.
      We packed everything back into the car in about 20mins and drove off at around 12.15. While driving I noticed my feet were actually deep frozen already! The car showed a temperature of just 4°C, no wonder it felt chilly. Thankfully the wind had not picked up all night. Overall a wonderful session with many old favourites and some new additions as well as some targets left over for the next galaxy season. Have to revisit Markarian again and scan the full extent, also missed the black eye and sombrero galaxies this time. Let’s hope for more clear skies soon!
    • By Swithin StCleeve
      At the last meeting of the Wolverhampton Astronomy Society I set up a 'shop', (which was basically a table with a load of used astronomy books kindly donated by a member). I sold books for £1 or £2 to raise funds for the society, and I made quite a bit. Enough to fund a year of observation sessions! (We rent out a village Hall in the countryside).
      Now I'm thinking of making a 'club shop' a permanent fixture. Members are happy to donate old copies of Astro mags and books, and we're looking into getting t-shirts made up, and perhaps hats and mugs.
      I wondered if anyone has any ideas on things to sell at a club shop? We don't want to sell expensive things, and don't want to get into selling telescopes and equipment, but I'm thinking about things I could buy perhaps buy on ebay that I could put a quid on, to sell on?
      Has anyone ever run a club shop at their astronomy club? 
    • By Luna-tic
      Our club meets at (and maintains)  a small observatory at what was once one of the county's high schools, and is now a middle school. The basis for the observatory was a science teacher's dream back in the 1960's, that became a reality through constant pressure on the local school board, lots of public support, and the diligent efforts of many volunteers who helped raise funds and actually build the observatory.
      The centerpiece of this facility is a hand-built (including grinding the primary mirror) 10" f/9.2 Newtonian reflector on a custom made, powered, split horseshoe ring mount. It is mounted under a rotating dome on top of the observatory building. This telescope is referred to as the O.N. Rich telescope, that being the name of the gentleman who built and donated it to the observatory. His stipulations were that it be used to further astronomic education and be fully maintained in working order for the duration of the observatory's existence. The observatory was built over two years by volunteer contractors and a high school masonry class. The dome was constructed under direction and assistance of the telescope builder; the completed observatory was dedicated in October 1976.
      I've lived within 5 miles of this observatory for 23 years, (both my daughters graduated from the high school where the observatory is located), and visited several times during the club's twice-monthly public viewings, but had never seen the Rich Telescope until last night. I'm a fairly new member of the club; last night was an especially nice viewing night, and we had a very large crowd (around 70 people) for the public viewing. It was decided to open the dome and utilize this scope for the occasion, and we used a 9mm Nagler EP to achieve 260x for viewing Saturn. The image is incredible; not only was Titan visible, but Rhea and Dione also, The Cassini division was clear, and if you had well-adjusted dark eyes, the Encke gap was barely visible; this was with a full Moon rising from behind the dome relative to our viewing direction . This telescope does not get a lot of use, but it stays in immaculate condition for a telescope built in the 1950's. I was shown how to open the dome doors, which use a worm drive from an electric garage door opener at the bottom and top of the arched doors, which open from the base to the zenith of the dome. The telescope's drive is rather unique; there is a movable plate that clamps to the outer azimuth ring; this plate has a toothed rack along its bottom, that engages a worm gear driven by an electric motor through a reduction system. This provides very accurate tracking on the azimuth axis; the geared plate must, however, be manually repositioned on the arch every hour, as the rack reaches the end of its travel length, in order to continue tracking for long periods. It takes about fifteen seconds to reposition this plate. Altitude axis is manual; the telescope is very finely balanced on this axis, and there is a friction control to help keep the set altitude. This alt-az mount operates like an EQ mount, as it is wedged so the azimuth can track in R.A.. To compensate for the rotation of the image over time, the tube can rotate in the mount along its long axis. A very elegant design for a home-built telescope.
      Here are a few pictures from inside the (rather cramped) dome. Sorry one is slightly out of focus, the light was dimmer than it looks and my autofocus couldn't quite adapt:

• By OwO
      My High school is giving us the option to make our own clubs. I would some opinions on making an astronomy club
       Logically I know such a club should be at night but I still wojld like to give this a shot. What do you think I should do? Thank you!

• By watevacoward
      Hi,
      I am new to star gazing and still deciding on what beginners scope  to buy (see my previous post here).
      I live in Staffordshire, UK and was woundering if there are any groups/clubs that welcome new comers to join. I believe joining a group of 'fellow' stargazers would help take me from a mere novice to understanding all of these terms and setups.
      Are there any in my local area? If not in the Staffordshire area, Cheshire-east (Congleton/Macclesfield) is also a good area for me.
      Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.