SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cold but satisfied.

Daz69

Wowsers, that was cold! Just came in after a couple of hours out in the rear garden. The moon, what a beauty!!! Looked even better tonight than 2 nights ago. I didn't use a filter (because I don't own one :)) but no issues with the 10mm fitted. The detail is amazing. I'm not sure of the region I was viewing, but it's around the 8'o'clock position, and it appears very mountainous . Loads of craters within other craters, so much to see. Cannot wait for my Plossl's and Barlow to arrive. 

The clouds have started covering the stars, and the moon is disappearing over my conifers, so I've packed up. I had even made a flask of tea so I wasn't in and out, which was stuck to the patio table by the ice when I came in :o   

Another pleasant nights viewing, albeit rather nippy!

Any ideas as to what area I was viewing this evening guys? I've just been looking at a moon map, but I'm struggling. I tried taking a photo with my iphone through the EP but it was too bright for the camera. I believe it was around Faustini, but stand to be corrected. My 10mm eyepiece shows everything upside down and back to front, yes? It is a standard Celestron one that came with my scope. If that's the case, then it would be around the 7-8'o'clock position if you look at the moon with naked eye, but in the scope it was showing around 1-2'o'clock position. 

Not sure if you've tried using the Virtual Moon Atlas to help you identify what you were looking at - but i don't think it was Faustini - not sure if that's very visible at the moment.

If I'm correct your scope is Newtonian and it would show the moon upside down and mirror reversed, so it's more likely you were observing somewhere in the region of Stofler?

Regards

Neil

Archived