SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Quarter Delights

Astro Imp

Set up late afternoon and started my observing in the southern highlands. The Alps were just off the terminator and I spent a long time with the Alpine Valley. Did I really see the rille or was this averted imagination? Observing familiar objects I find quite tricky as it is too easy to convince oneself of details that are not presenting themselves in the eyepiece.

It was now time for a dinner break.

Coming back out I was dismayed to see approaching cloud/mist.

Having not had a good session for some time because of the weather I decided to make the most of it.

I went north along the terminator and enjoyed views of Ptolemeaus with Hershel to the north and followed up to Alphonsus and Arzachel. Next was Purbach, Regiomontanus and Walther. All these fine features were ideally placed this evening but unfortunately the encroaching mist prevented the full enjoyment. 

As by now I was really fighting a loosing battle I packed up and brought my dripping equipment in hoping for a better night tomorrow.

Hope you guys had more luck weatherwise.

Here the haze took over slowly, then thickened by 22:00.  Between 16:00-21:00 the seeing conditions allowed the best lunar viewing I think I have ever had.  I think I have been dreaming about the moon all night and woke up buzzing.  Wow.... seriously I hope for more of that ASAP.  Just as you think the hobby has allowed you to see it all, it stretches the imagination by delivering beyond expectations. 

Such complex features and lighting, the textures and contrast was astonishing under steady seeing & clear skies.  

Archived