Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Teething Trouble

Hi,

First of all, thank you to all who posted on "SOS!!!", comments were really helpful, and in the end I managed to get the controls on without much trouble. The next issue I have encountered is that the axes are much heavier and slower moving than my old EQ2, and I'm having trouble balancing both the counterweights and the scope. Is this stiffness just how the mount is, and I just need to get the balance roughly ok, or is this just because the mount is new? Will I need to refine balance as I go along?

John

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your axes are just a little stiff due to being new - loosen them one at a time and give it a few full turns to get the grease inside a little warmer and it'll distribute around inside a bit better. They will eventually get a little looser but possibly not as loose as your old mount - which is good. Don't force it if the resistance feels mechanical.

These Chinese mounts come with thick gunk inside and some folks service them after 6mths or so and replace all the grease with a lithium based product or better. The levers are quite short but take a full turn to loosen of completely. You'll find it easier to balance when you pop the scope and weights on - do one axis at a time with the other one locked.

Keep us updated if you find any other problems but this just sounds more like a "running in" anomaly. Hth :)

It's a good mount - I had two CG5's and two EQ5's and they all had slightly different resistances and locking turns. But they do polar align easily and track nicely once balanced up and polar aligned. And you'll find it's a lot more substantial and stable than your old EQ2 which is a toy by comparison - ideal for the 130P. Loads a luck and clear skies. :)

I've tried it out, and WOW! I think I did the polar alignment process correctly, and it was really easy. (The scope was lined up with the polar axis, btw, which made it a lot easier! :)) As you say, the EQ2 is tiny compared to it. I don't know how I thought it was a 'large sturdy mount' when I first got it...but then you live and learn :D!

The tracking motor's haven't arrived yet, but I've looked over the online instructions for their installation, and it looks (kinda!) simple.

david     &

GOLIATH  ,    lol they still look nice side by side, though! :D:D Pardon my foolishness. :police::police::police::police:

IMG_2259.JPG

Yup - they look nice together. :)

And yes the motors are a doddle to fit with a little care and attention. Don't forget - it's the mount you polar align - not the scope. I think your mount comes with a polar scope installed.... gl :)

2 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I think your mount comes with a polar scope installed

16 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

(The scope was lined up with the polar axis, btw, which made it a lot easier!

Yh, that's the one I'm meaning. Thanks for help! :)

John

15 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I've tried it out, and WOW! I think I did the polar alignment process correctly, and it was really easy. (The scope was lined up with the polar axis, btw, which made it a lot easier! :)) As you say, the EQ2 is tiny compared to it. I don't know how I thought it was a 'large sturdy mount' when I first got it...but then you live and learn :D!

Wait until you buy an EQ8 :eek:

John

3 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Look at these two mounts: :D 

You can see from the Altitude tilt of the second one that it is taken at high latitude. Though where the polar scope is, I'm not sure.

IMG_2461sm.jpglens.jpg

The second one is an APO 200-500mm f2.8 zoom lens for a camera, not a telescope.  Costs just a tad less than £16,000 ;)

Sorry, I wasn't sure which was the mount Palomar telescope! :D

But on a more serious note, I have been oiling and working the Dec Axis, which appears to be the stiffest. And I have noticed that the end of the counterweight rod seems to move around in a small circle. Is this normal? I'm just really worried about it all! :(

John

The counterweight rod moving slightly will not be a problem. Btw, once I got my scope balanced I put masking tape on the rod to mark where the weights should go, very useful for setting things up quickly. Also on the OTA to show where the rings should be placed and a mark on the vixen plate and mount so I can position everything correctly. Little things like that means you can start viewing a bit quicker :)

Archived