Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APM ultra flat field 15mm

GavStar

Just got these for my binoviewers. I tried them out last night and so far I like them. Good eye relief and fov and slim enough to be as comfortable as the pan 24mm on my binoviewer. Views were comparable to pan 24mm although magnification obviously very different so more testing required using a gpc 2.6x with the pans and a gpc 1.7x with the APM to give similar magnification. (I should have thought about that last night...)

IMG_0179.JPG

i tested both 15 and 18mm pairs and they are excellent! Field is truly flat,sharp views,no flares or glare on bright objects.APM has done a sterling job on these,there will be other focal length released very soon (10mm and possibly a 30mm).For a money,they are an absolute bargain as bino pair or as single eye piece. 18mm is a bit on the fat side and people with narrow IPD might struggle a bit,but other than that,top marks.In my eyes these are equal to pans image quality wise for far less money. I liked them.

I haven't got an f5 scope to try them on, but APM designed these for f5.5 binoculars so I'd hope the performance would be pretty good.

Here is another photo comparing the APM 15mm with the Pan 24mm. As you can see the APMs are very compact. I think the 18mm APMs would be too wide for me unfortunately. I have struggled to find eyepieces that are comfortable with my binoviewers (I found the delites uncomfortable) but the tapering barrel of both the pans and the APMs lets me get my nose in without hitting the side of the eyepiece. Coupled with using winged eye guards the viewing is completely immersive.

IMG_0187.JPG

30mm will also be 1.25" with binoviewing in mind,curious how they gonna work that one out but thats what Markus is saying.Dont know at present what FOV it is going to be but i am most certain it will have to be less then 65 if it is for binos as field stop has to be at about 30mm as a maximum. 10mm is deffo coming.

I would double think Shane about your plossls vs FF from APm,i personally think the FF`s will be equal optically but better for eye relief and FOV :)

I hate to look like I am promoting TV but one difference is that I can get two used TV plossls for the price of one new APM FF (I am assuming the FFs won't be coming up used for a while, especially two. Therefore I may stick the plan and watch with interest. I must admit that withe the exception of bgos and bcos I have always regretted not buying TV.

I am using 50 degree eyepieces currently for bvs so maybe I should try a single for general viewing and see how it goes.

• 4 months later...

An update, 10mm and 24mm ultra flats are now available. Here are the 10mm. No tapered barrels unlike the 15mm - maybe they are listening to comments. Look a great size and fov for binoviewers.

IMG_0766.JPG

Archived