SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG) Star Party March 2017

Freff

Hi Jon, there is not a whole lot of difference between the two.

Both have narrow-ish sections but nothing that should cause a problem.

Take your time, if you meet anything big let them do the backing up. HTH

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Tony, it's the parked cars on the side of the road in Talybont that got me worried.

At least from the North it's mostly rural lanes, having said that, on street view there's a range rover towing a van buried on the verge letting a tractor pass. Something I will have to get used to!

As you approach those parked cars in Talybont you will see if anything is oncoming. Once it's clear then commit to it, anything then will have to back up.

If you meet anything big just stop, don't bury your outfit in the hedge, let them reverse to a passing area. If they then try to pass a damage your van they will be at fault. Don't be intimidated.....and don't worry you'll be fine. :icon_biggrin: 

• 3 weeks later...

Been very quiest on this. Hope all is still go and the camp site is not under water :-)  Forecasts are as usual unreliable this far out but at least the snow forecast for Wednesday seems to have gone :-)

Owen

Well I'm here all set up although I nearly got blew away unfolding the contraption lol ?  I'm currently drinking gallons of tea while the stew is cooking 

DSC_0052.thumb.JPG.99131d92fa14941df32da01a915b634b.JPG

Well I've just come indoors after being treated to a sky full of stars against an inky black sky, didn't last unfortunately but was good for a while.

I'd love to live here.

Envious of you chaps already on site. I'm counting down to Friday morning when I can get the van hitched up and be on my way. Shame I can only do two nights, but work and babies dictate the rules! Hoping at least one of the nights will be clear to give my new scope a decent outing.

Had some more gaps yesterday but the weather was still being a bit unpredictable so never set a scope up, i was going to do a star trail image but that didn't happen in the end but I did manage a couple of test shots while I were out.
The wind was bitterly cold so remember to bring plenty of layers with you plus it can make shooting an interesting experience.
If you squint & don't look to closely at the stars then I guess it's ok-ish, I think I should have mounted the camera on an NEQ6 tripod with the legs full of sand!!

Tony has now arrived too & brought the clouds with him as I were just about set on doing some Solar but that idea has gone out the window for now......

06.thumb.jpg.c0d01ad3c5afac2b7e0532ba1c080437.jpg

Yet again the curse of the Brecons came to haunt me on the journey home, I think I've only ever had one trip home from there when nothing has gone wrong, 1st year on the way there one of the brake pad liners came off the plate, second year was fine, third year the bottom pulley on the car started to disintegrate managed to nurse it back, fourth year had a blow out on the caravan, last year was a no show due to a busted axle, then this year after a couple of wrong turns the exhaust decided to snap on the M6, thank goodness I had some cable ties on hand for a quick repair so it wasn't dragging on the floor. I'm supposed to be going there again later this year & I don't know if I dare lol

Apart from that mishap I had a great week away, i think I've seen all 4 seasons weather wise in that week too, but we did get some cracking nights out too, feeling pretty tired now so I think an early night is in order.

It were lovely seeing some new faces as well as some of the regulars too, look forward to catching up with you all again soon...

After all the headaches I were having with the scope with dodgey lead & PHD2 spitting its dummy out I still managed 6½ hours worth of data on the Needle galaxy. Until the the next one (If I dare to travel there again lol)
Thanks again Tony it were another successful event looking forward to the next one ;-)

.58d9905b612d8_Needle6hr30minutes.thumb.jpg.83b0a86972434b01c4cf7f8dbdd46be5.jpg

8 hours ago, tich said:

After all the headaches I were having with the scope with dodgey lead & PHD2 spitting its dummy out I still managed 6½ hours worth of data on the Needle galaxy. Until the the next one (If I dare to travel there again lol)
Thanks again Tony it were another successful event looking forward to the next one ;-)

.58d9905b612d8_Needle6hr30minutes.thumb.jpg.83b0a86972434b01c4cf7f8dbdd46be5.jpg

Nice image Tich

Archived