Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP's for Skywatcher 250px Flextube

If it helps I have just purchased an 82 degree ES 14mm for my 10" f/4.7 and it is a fantastic eyepiece. I cannot comment on the 68 as I have not tried it, however if you find them for a similar price then I don't think you will be disappointed with the 82 degree eyepieces. even better, get a used one and get a bargain. The 14mm allows the whole of the Orion Nebula to sit comfortably inside the field of view with stunning, razor sharp detail to around the last 5% or so of the view where there is a little coma. Personally I hardly notice it as I am so indulged in what I can see in the remaining 95%! I am so impressed I would happily buy the 8.8mm ES that's floating around on the sale pages on here...but I can't afford it so will someone please buy it and take away the temptation!

I have a 7mm celestron x-cel which is ok and these I believe are meant to be similar in design, f.o.v. and performance as BST's. To be honest it may well get sold as I also have a 6mm ortho which I much prefer despite it's narrower f.o.v and tight eye relief. For planetary I find they are great.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:17, BRUN said:

hmmmm ok cheers, a lot of solid info for me in here, thanks guys

if you only had the original 10mm and 25mm what size would your first EP purchase be, or maybe a barlow ?

I would replace the 10mm with a 10mm ortho. Buying my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho was probably the best eyepiece choice I have made. The eye relief and field of view will be much the same as the stock 10mm you get with the scope, but the views are far from the same. 10mm should give you 120x mag if I'm not mistaken. This is perfect for most nights of planetary viewing I have had. When seeing conditions are exceptional then using a 6mm ortho is even better, but these nights are rare. Look for one second hand. You might find one for around £35. Money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

just another quick question, say i have £100 to spend on an EP, do I get the ES 82 in 1.25", or do I get something of lesser quality in 2" ?

pretty sure the 1.25" would be the way to go but just checking

Yes, get a 1.25". If you look at the entire ES82 range, you'll notice that they only become 2" eyepieces at 18mm. For lengths below that, there is no requirement for it to be 2" - if you do get something at those shorter lengths that has a 2" fitting, it'll probably be a 1.25" inside anyway.

sorry, one more question, say I bought the 8.8mm, if I barlow that, will it produce pretty much the same view as if i bought the 4.7mm ?, would i lose the wide field of view because of the barlow or not ?

On 1/8/2017 at 22:07, Jimtheslim said:

If it helps I have just purchased an 82 degree ES 14mm for my 10" f/4.7 and it is a fantastic eyepiece. I cannot comment on the 68 as I have not tried it, however if you find them for a similar price then I don't think you will be disappointed with the 82 degree eyepieces. even better, get a used one and get a bargain. The 14mm allows the whole of the Orion Nebula to sit comfortably inside the field of view with stunning, razor sharp detail to around the last 5% or so of the view where there is a little coma. Personally I hardly notice it as I am so indulged in what I can see in the remaining 95%! I am so impressed I would happily buy the 8.8mm ES that's floating around on the sale pages on here...but I can't afford it so will someone please buy it and take away the temptation!

I have a 7mm celestron x-cel which is ok and these I believe are meant to be similar in design, f.o.v. and performance as BST's. To be honest it may well get sold as I also have a 6mm ortho which I much prefer despite it's narrower f.o.v and tight eye relief. For planetary I find they are great.

do you have to move around your view very much with the 82 ?

On 1/20/2017 at 12:56, BRUN said:

do you have to move around your view very much with the 82 ?

how do you mean? Nudge the telescope? If so it all depends on a person's idea of 'very much'. A nudge every few minutes I guess for nebulas and clusters which doesn't bother me at all. A little more often for larger targets such as the Orion Nebula

Archived