Narrowband

2nd (short) session with Helios naturesport 10X50 WA

Victor Boesen

As said in the title, 2nd real but short session with my new binoculars.

Observations:

Seeing Jupiter rise just above the rooftop of the building in front of my bedroom, i grab my binoculars, in speculation of what i will be able to see. Since i've been interested in astronomy for nearly two years now i know how the tilt of Jupiter's belts and moons change over time.
So i point my bins towards Jupiter sitting on my bed while resting my arms on the windowsill, this way my view is as steady as possible. I definitely see Jupiter as a blob instead of a dot like the stars look like, and after staring at Jupiter for some time, i start seeing a dot close to Jupiter on its lower left side, and one on the top right side further away from it. I look it up on stellarium and see that io was on the left side close to the planet and callisto was further to the right of the planet. Since i didn't know what to expect, i was surprised to see two of its moons with only a 10x50 binocular.

Moving on to the next target being M13 (globular cluster). This has always been an object that i wanted to see, if it was with my telescope, or now with my binocular. This was really difficult to find because i couldn't see many stars with my eye to navigate from. But after trying to navigate from Bootes to hercules and then from there moving down the side of the constellation. I finally spottet a small blurry blob. i kept staring at it both with averted vision and looking straight at it. I was happy that i finally found it.

Conclusion:

This was everything i saw, since it was 3am in the morning and i had school next day. (not in the morning but next morning). Really satisfied with the session, and now i just love my binocular even more. The sharpness of the stars (and moons:icon_biggrin:) was looking crisp and sharp as pinpoints.

Archived