Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Dec

PHD2 not working with Powered USB port

Hi All,

i have recently purchased a star tech powered USB hub and 25m of CAT6e cable and connected it up to my NEQ6 mount, Canon 700d, and Star shoot autoguider (through PHD2).

The problem is that everything works fine apart from the autoguider. PHD2 connects ok to the mount and camera but won't loop exposures. I keep getting Error 31 connection to device has failed.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks

Few questions for sake of clarity...

• What’s the relevance of Cat6 cable to the question? USB involves no ethernet, unless there’s some vital piece of info you’ve not given (such as you’re running the hub via a USB-over-IP transceiver).
  • Is the hub USB2 or 3?
  • Is your laptop / computer USB2 or 3?
  • Over what distance is the power supply running from the hub?
  • Over what distance is the hub running from the PC?
Edited by Marci

Hi Marci,

The purpose of the star tech powered USB extender (see image) is to allow me to control my scope, camera and guide scope/camera situated in my garden from my house about 20m away.

The spec on the Star tech product states it can carry data up to 50m from the host USB port through a cat 6e cable to another remote USB port. I'm only using a 25m cat6e cable.

The powered hub appears to be working fine for the scope and camera but struggling with PHD2.

im using win10 on an acer laptop with USB3 ports.

the 5v supply to the remote port is at the scope (as per the installation instructions I got with the port).

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.IMG_0622.PNG

I am using the same Cat6/USB extender and I am also using PHD2 with a windows 10 laptop - zero issues so maybe that points towards a camera driver issue rather than hardware ??

I am running a, Atik 460EX CCD, EFW2 filter wheel, electronic focuser, guidecam (Lodestar) and using Stellarium, Astrotortilla, APT, EQMOD, etc over this extender so I doubt its a bandwidth issue.

Have you tried running PHD and camera connected directly to the laptop ie not using the extender - it might help isolate the issue ??

Hi thanks for the info. I've got some comfort now, at least I know I have bought something that should work.

I've tried the camera (an Orion SSAG) and phd2 with a shorter CAT6 cable and it works fine. Really can't understand why it isn't working with the 25m cable as its brand new and works with other devices.

I have a 5v supply connected to the remote port as per the installation instructions but was thinking about adding a 5v supply to the host port too. Would this help this issue?

Maybe try a different Cat6 cable ?? They arent all created equal !

I wouldnt add a 5v supply at the pc end - it draws its power from the USB port and its a tiny power requirement.

My PC is 52 metres away from the obsy and it works perfectly - no power at the pc end.

Thanks Skipper Billy. Good advice.

I'll try another CAT6 cable.

Cheers

Dec

10 hours ago, Dec said:

Hi All,

i have recently purchased a star tech powered USB hub and 25m of CAT6e cable and connected it up to my NEQ6 mount, Canon 700d, and Star shoot autoguider (through PHD2).

The problem is that everything works fine apart from the autoguider. PHD2 connects ok to the mount and camera but won't loop exposures. I keep getting Error 31 connection to device has failed.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks

Sorry, but, damn that's a lot of investment just to cover 20m.

Anyway,is it worth checking that the Cat5/6 cable is the correct one?

Perhaps the Startech requires a cross-over cable and the one you have isn't, or vice versa, you inadvertently got a cross-over cable?

Generally not so relevant in most networking equipment these days, but may be relevant to this product?

BTW CAT6e is not a 'standard'

CAT5/5e/6 and 6a are defined standards.

Edited by iapa

Thanks iapa. I'll check with star tech on what the best cable type is. Thanks for the heads up, I'm not well up on cabling.

Cheers

Dec

Thanks dr_ju_ju,

ill get some ordered. What about RJ45 connectors. Are they all standard?

Like all things...

I'd look for connectors that have at least 5 microns of gold, this should ensure good contact and prolonged life. I'd also test the cable to ensure that it has full connectivity, no crossovers etc...