Another newbie

Newcomer here using a nat geo 76/700 eq telescope. I have set up and aligned the mount and have seen some amazing images of the moon. Im going to start to try and view some planets. 

Is this going to be possible with this telescope. What are your thoughts / any tips

thanks in advance

welcome

Have you installed Stellarium to see when the planets are going to be visible. The main contenders are not best placed really.

You should be able to see Jupiter's 4 main moons when it is visible and my make out the two main belts on good seeing.

I have looked at the software and was hoping I could get to view Jupiter and Saturn. I know they are not in position just yet which will give me more time to get used to operating the telescope. 

But getting to see any detail on Jupiter is better than I'd hope. Very excited to see that

thanks

Welcome to the forum. Have fun with it and your observing. As above, the planets are not best placed at present for us in the northern hemisphere - and even the Sun is very quiet. But still lots of enjoyment to be had.

Archived