Moon filter

Used my scope for the first time tonight, I need a moon filter lol, Jesus it's bright.

Both me and my dad had watery eyes pretty quickly and it's not even a half moon at the moment.

FLO website suggests 0.9 density for 4-10", I'm on a 10" Skyliner 250px, but I'm worried it won't be strong enough.

Also what are the variable ones like, would I be better with one of those ?

Don't worry. It wont damage you (unless you bump into something because your night vision is completely shot)!

I have a 0.9 Baadar filter. Works a treat.

Or, just up the Mag until brightness is acceptable.

Paul

I don't use a filter even with my 12" dob but if you feel you would prefer to then the suggestions above are sound :smiley:

I find increasing the magnification reduces the apparent brightness. I don't tend to go for fainter DSO's with a bright moon in the sky.

21 minutes ago, BRUN said:

Does the size you choose need to match your EP size or do they fit somewhere else further in ?

They should match your eyepiece barrel size, either 1.25" or 2". Generally you screw filters onto the end of the eyepiece barrel.

Im not worried about it damaging my eyes, I know it wont do that, but i physically couldnt look at for longer than a few seconds without my eye streaming, same happened to my dad too.

Sorry for the questions but ive no idea where they fit, if I bought a 2" filter, does that mean I could only use 2" eyepieces with it ? Im pretty sure my scope will take 2" or 1.25" eyepieces, it came with 2 x 1.25" which I was using last night, a 25mm and 10mm

This : http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/products_id/7627  will give you the possibillity to adjust according the brightness (stage)  of the moon.
there are cheaper ones available as well, like Orion or other brands, but these are top. They arter vaialble in 1,25 and 2" size and fit into the back of your eyepiece or extension tube.
can be used for imaging as well.

B.t.w. I don't agree with the comments 'it does not damage your eyes' The fact that it takes quite a while before your eyes are back to normal use should be a warning that they are over stimulated, which never is an okay thing for any part of our body.

1 hour ago, BRUN said:

Im not worried about it damaging my eyes, I know it wont do that, but i physically couldnt look at for longer than a few seconds without my eye streaming, same happened to my dad too.

Sorry for the questions but ive no idea where they fit, if I bought a 2" filter, does that mean I could only use 2" eyepieces with it ? Im pretty sure my scope will take 2" or 1.25" eyepieces, it came with 2 x 1.25" which I was using last night, a 25mm and 10mm

Burn,

filters can be fitted to your eyepieces or your star diagonal (if your scope uses a diagonal? What scope is it?)

if your scope does not use a diagonal, then you can only fit the filters to the eyepieces.

therefore as you say, a 2" filter with a 2" thread will only screw into a 2" eyepiece.

however, there are converters and adapters available that may help you, I use one, let me go and read the partnumber...

otherwise eyepieces are available that have BOTH 1.25 and 2" threads, so this would be another option. Such as baader hyperion

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-68-degree-eyepiece.html 

if you plan to view the moon at higher power then a 1.25 will fit the eyepieces you will likely be using.

wider 2" eyepieces are less useful on a big target like the moon.

My SCT scope uses a diagonal so I just fit the filters to that and that gives me flexibility to change eyepieces and the filter remains in place :)

Brun,

i use a baader adapter to convert my 1.25 eyepieces to 2", this enables me to fit them straight into my 2" focuser. As I have many 2" eyepieces this adapter allows me to make them all the same. Less messing about in the dark

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-low-profile-eyepiece-adapter-for-steeltrack.html

The adapter has a thread to accept 2" filters :)

The eBay link has pics from alternate angle...

&source

There are 2 fitment options.

1 the adapter is secured to the eyepiece with an Allen key and then remains permanently fitted. Thumbscrew is removed.

2 It also comes with a thumbscrew which you could use if you want to share a single adapter across several 1.25 eyepieces. This way you could leave the single 2" filter screwed into the adapter and just swap over eyepieces as needed :)

Alan

my scope is a Skywatcher 250px flextube, ive only just got it so dont really know much about it, its my first scope

my thinking was that if i got a 2" filter, it can stay in place while swapping eyepieces, but i wasnt sure where they fitted

Archived