SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Who's observing tonight???

Nathan UK

Thanks John ....

by increasing the mag I ment using my 25mm with a x3 Barlow which would of ment 7.3mm round about but your obviously more experienced then me so I will take your advice mate

will using my iPhone and iPhone mount and stacking pics bring out the beautiful colours???

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Thanks John ....

by increasing the mag I ment using my 25mm with a x3 Barlow which would of ment 7.3mm round about

Yup, that'll give you about 78x which is resolvable in the 130. 

3 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

but your obviously more experienced then me so I will take your advice mate

less of that talk, try it for yourself and see :) the only way to know what works and what doesn't.

19 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Yup, that'll give you about 78x which is resolvable in the 130. 

less of that talk, try it for yourself and see :) the only way to know what works and what doesn't.

I will be sure to have a experiment John! I also value your advice at the same time ...

whats your current set up mate?

I managed to get out for a brief session. Jus the moon, m42, and a couple of double stars in Orion. No time to set up heaters or the eq platform or paracorr etc, just took out a few 1.25" eyepieces and used the telrad finder. The mountains on the west side of mare serenitatis were well lit, and M42 is a great target even from a light polluted street.

36 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

I will be sure to have a experiment John! I also value your advice at the same time ...

whats your current set up mate?

An F10 4" refractor, a 130mm F6.9 reflector, EQ3 mount, various bins & a Nikon D3200 DSLR. I'll be upgrading the mount soon to something powered and much more stable and there's a bunch of OTA's & Bins I'd like  to obtain as well :)

That's when you know you've got the bug, when you know you don't need it but you also really really want it.

Cloudiest, rainiest, winter in a very long time here. So no, no observing for me. I've brought my mount indoors.

Just windshield time tonight as we travel from home halfway the length of California to visit family for a few days.

Probably entirely in the rain... :tongue:

15 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

An F10 4" refractor, a 130mm F6.9 reflector, EQ3 mount, various bins & a Nikon D3200 DSLR. I'll be upgrading the mount soon to something powered and much more stable and there's a bunch of OTA's & Bins I'd like  to obtain as well :)

That's when you know you've got the bug, when you know you don't need it but you also really really want it.

Haha I'm the same mate pure got the bug!!! My first scope was the celestron 114/900 eq .... Used it 5 times max and gave it to the kid across the road and upgraded to my current scope I'm looking at 10&12 inch dobs already but I'm keeping my scope and not upgrading till next Christmas because I do go OTT with things so I'm trying to keep myself paced this time ....

example I bought fishing gear for four people and made the lads come, upto now I own £5000 worth of fishing gear, I've spent upwards of £1000 on hunting gear rifles, scopes, ferrets, trackers , £1000 on two metal detectors ect but the beauty is I use everything and enjoy it!!!! I also want some bins

38 minutes ago, Paz said:

I managed to get out for a brief session. Jus the moon, m42, and a couple of double stars in Orion. No time to set up heaters or the eq platform or paracorr etc, just took out a few 1.25" eyepieces and used the telrad finder. The mountains on the west side of mare serenitatis were well lit, and M42 is a great target even from a light polluted street.

Glad to hear you managed a little session buddy regardless of light pollution as long as you enjoyed yourself that's the main thing matey

18 minutes ago, SonnyE said:

Cloudiest, rainiest, winter in a very long time here. So no, no observing for me. I've brought my mount indoors.

Just windshield time tonight as we travel from home halfway the length of California to visit family for a few days.

Probably entirely in the rain... :tongue:

Family time is good time mate,

you will get your turn observing buddy, look forward to your future observation reports

Hi Nathan - I was out too, but quite early - Moon, Venus, Mars - but mainly clusters in Taurus - M45 is of course easy and ever-popular, and I also took in NGCs 1647, 1807, and 1817 - the first two show lovely star patterns; the last isn't as good - then finally a beautiful dense cluster in Gemini, M35.

A good session, especially as I have a nasty cough, and shouldn't really have gone out at all!

Doug.

Managed 90 mins over 3 x 30min sessions.  No real plan, just set up the 20x80 binocs and mainly enjoyed the delights within Taurus and Orion as they came up over the rooftops - called it a night after Sirius came into view.

2 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Glad we all had a good night,

i fell asleep drunk so didn't get to see Jupiter hahaha

im kind of in the same boat doug....

my throats killing me buddy!

Not drunk in charge of a telescope, I hope!

Get well soon, Nathan!

Doug.

6 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Not drunk in charge of a telescope, I hope!

Get well soon, Nathan!

Doug.

I'm afraid so I was operating under the influence....

hahaha

me and the missus had a night off.

her mother had the little fella so we had some drinks and I shown her the Orion Nebula (to my surprise) she was as impressed as I was!!! 

Then I thought ohhhh nooo!!!

nathan you have already ruined fishing by making her enjoy it.....

save something for yourself haha (joke)-ish haha

4 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

I'm afraid so I was operating under the influence....

hahaha

me and the missus had a night off.

her mother had the little fella so we had some drinks and I shown her the Orion Nebula (to my surprise) she was as impressed as I was!!! 

Then I thought ohhhh nooo!!!

nathan you have already ruined fishing by making her enjoy it.....

save something for yourself haha (joke)-ish haha

After a few scoops, just make sure you don't drop the 'scope!!  (I always wait until after a session!)

The missus might not be so keen if she gets involved in hunting targets, especially when you fail to locate them.  Best do what I do - call her out when there's something really good to see!

Doug.

9 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

After a few scoops, just make sure you don't drop the 'scope!!  (I always wait until after a session!)

The missus might not be so keen if she gets involved in hunting targets, especially when you fail to locate them.  Best do what I do - call her out when there's something really good to see!

Doug.

Haha that's what happened exactly (she had no involvement in the hunt)

she kipped that and had the highlights!

i like the hunt myself it's part of achieving your goal,

i would never drop my scope haha

people aren't even aloud to walk past it doing more then 1mph haha

1 minute ago, Nathan UK said:

Haha that's what happened exactly (she had no involvement in the hunt)

she kipped that and had the highlights!

i like the hunt myself it's part of achieving your goal,

i would never drop my scope haha

people aren't even aloud to walk past it doing more then 1mph haha

Famous last words!! - I actually DID drop mine about a week or so ago - it hit a table, and I managed a brilliant catch before it went on to the ground.  No harm done thankfully.

Yes, the hunt is a big part of it - very satisfying when you hit the target.  Gets better with practice, of course.  

Glad you're sharing the highlights, and in time, the little 'un can join in too!

Doug.

27 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

(I always wait until after a session!)

Wise words, don't forget alcohol cuts off oxygen supply to the brain and affects your visual acuity. Your observations will be better without it Nathan. As the man says, have as much as you like when you're done to warm up :)

28 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Famous last words!! - I actually DID drop mine about a week or so ago - it hit a table, and I managed a brilliant catch before it went on to the ground.  No harm done thankfully.

Yes, the hunt is a big part of it - very satisfying when you hit the target.  Gets better with practice, of course.  

Glad you're sharing the highlights, and in time, the little 'un can join in too!

Doug.

Very lucky you caught it mate,

that must of been a soul destroying  moment!

cant wait until the little man is old enough to have a peek through the scope!

22 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Wise words, don't forget alcohol cuts off oxygen supply to the brain and affects your visual acuity. Your observations will be better without it Nathan. As the man says, have as much as you like when you're done to warm up :)

Haha yeah mate I get what your saying but unfortunately I never really had a choice.....

i would of had to listen too oh so you would rather look through your scope then have a drink and spend time with me... (You know how they can be) haha

so that was my middle ground for the night drink but observe ,

haha

Yeah - it was a scary moment - I went cold(er) and probably very pale too, particularly when I thought I'd have to explain the costly act of clumsiness to Mrs. Sweeper.  Thank heavens there was no damage other than a dislodged finderscope.

Doug.

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yeah - it was a scary moment - I went cold(er) and probably very pale too, particularly when I thought I'd have to explain the costly act of clumsiness to Mrs. Sweeper.  Thank heavens there was no damage other than a dislodged finderscope.

Doug

haha atleast everything was OK, Im off for now buddy catch you later

16 hours ago, Nathan UK said:

Chuffed to let you know I've added the Orion Nebula to my list

straight off the bat I spotted the constellation Orion with my naked eye...

aimed my red dot finder at the central star on Orion's Belt then down a touch and there she was !

In my scope she was one bright central glow with a couple of pin pricks around her and a kind of fuzzy misty glow....

I'm well buzzing!!!

cant wait to start taking pictures in the next few days when my iPhone adapter comes....

next observing Jupiter in the early hours 

Nathan 

iPhone adapter? Would you be able to point me in the direction of this? :) I won't be getting a proper camera any time soon so this would fill the gap for the time being!

47 minutes ago, Woolnut said:

iPhone adapter? Would you be able to point me in the direction of this? :) I won't be getting a proper camera any time soon so this would fill the gap for the time being!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microscope-Telescope-Universal-Interface-Bracket-Holder-Mount-Adapter-for-Phones-/172232076681?varId=471056171034&txnId=1639734084007

mine come today and my new EP's!!!! Proper buzzing can't wait to have a go later.

P.S. If you google iPhone Astro photography people have took ok and some nice photos, 

you need to down load a camera app like night cap, night camera or something similar I'm not really sure what's best but people have gave me advise on here just can't remember what app store heyday said 

Archived