Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

PESKYWAABBIT

2nd night out. HEQ5 PRO tracking to completely different place yet again

Hello again friendly forum! 

Recently I upgraded from an old Vixen refractor to a Skywatcher 200 P reflector with a HEQ5 Pro mount.

My first night out was pretty horrible as I couldn't even find polaris due to a mass of trees. But instead I spun the telescope around and took a variety of photos of the moon to make a huge a moasaic. So I made turned a bad night into a semi decent one (see my profile post if interested.)

Finally on my second light, the moon had gone from the sky and I found polaris and I aligned my polar scope up perfectly (SUCCESS!). The last time the illuminated polar scope was so bright I couldn't see polaris through it, but this time a combination of turning the mount on and off helped me align the scope as I wanted.

So I entered in all the useful coordinates/time and started the 3 star alignment process. I chose Pleiades of Tauros to the South as I could see it. So I accepted the target chosen and the mount started slewing but instead of pointing anywhere near the target, it pointed up to the west. I am very confused and still have no idea how it's happening as I've been checking the forums but I'm pretty certain I'm entering incorrect coordinates.

Could somebody please help me format the location of my scope in a format the SYNSCAN will understand. 

Thanks for any advice! I'd love to get my setup sorted this month as I hear January is a good mont hfor astronomy, planetary-wise at least!

Cheers,

Tom

There is this app for your co-ords on Android app store,

SynscanInit 2

Not sure if it's on iPhone

Last time I had issues with my HEQ5 tracking/goto... it was all down to a bad power supply. 

The HEQ5 is REALLY fussy with having a good power source.  How do youpower yours?

Ant

What numbers for the location are you entering ? From the picture they should be 000 51 E, 52 20 N . The numbers should be entered in the order and format

I've removed your map. It showed your exact location. Anyone can view this thread and you have some nice kit. 

Ant

• Like 1

Also, check the date time, as this needs to be in US format, with month first. This can cause mayhem as well, and would put stars further West at the moment, as instead of 3rd Jan, it would think it is 1st March.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattJenko said:

Also, check the date time, as this needs to be in US format, with month first. This can cause mayhem as well, and would put stars further West at the moment, as instead of 3rd Jan, it would think it is 1st March.

That is far more likely to be an issue than anything else :)

The amount of times I do that lol

Hiya, is this the HEQ5 you bought from me? The mount works like a charm so I'm certain it's just something you've not quite entered right. I'm getting ready for work but will check this thread tonight about 10 ish. We'll get you up and running :) Just bear in mind that the 12v 5amp supply I throw in isn't regulated as stated at the time of purchase...wasn't a problem in the summer/autumn but it's getting pretty cold now so the volts might be dropping a bit too much. Other than this there are so many things you can enter not quite right even if you've owned Goto's for years.

Try not to sweat it if this is your first goto mate :) 

I'll check in later!  

Right, things I can think of to check off the top of my head:

-Make sure the LED on the mount is solid red and isn't flashing, a flashing light can indicate a poor power supply. 

-Make sure it is definitely Polaris you are looking at through the polar scope

- Make sure the mount is in the home position and the clutch levers tightened before you do a 1,2,3 star allignment.

-Correct time zone

-Correct format time and date

-Daylight saving currently = No

-Correct format co-ordinates (really easy to get this wrong)

I'd try a two star alignment using a wide angle eyepiece to find the star, then fine adjust using a high power eyepiece (de-focusing the star will make it easier to centre!)

I can't think of anything else obvious. If I get time I'll try and find a vid for the goto setup, maybe there is one on Youtube which might click any errors into place?

This vid shows you how to accurately set up the home position:

Dude running through of Synscan EQ handset:

Edited by Chris Lock

Cheers for all the help guys, I'll have to give this a whirl the next time I'm out, been rather busy recently.

I honestly think that it's the coordinates format that I'm entering that are incorrect but I will check that soon!

18 hours ago, JemC said:

There is this app for your co-ords on Android app store,

SynscanInit 2

Not sure if it's on iPhone

I've downloaded the Synscan Init 2 app and it seems that unless you have mobile data, the app doesn't know what to do. I have working Wi-Fi but it seems that is not enough! :(

18 hours ago, Ant said:

Last time I had issues with my HEQ5 tracking/goto... it was all down to a bad power supply. 

The HEQ5 is REALLY fussy with having a good power source.  How do youpower yours?

Ant

I use a mains AC 220-240v to 12V convertor and it seems to be working correctly. The LED stays constant so I assume that the power is decent. Also cheers for removing my map! (I'm an idiot).

18 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Thanks Matt, I have checked this several times when I was setting up, mainly because Chris pointed it out to me when showing me the mount working before I bought it. It also tells you to format the date mm/dd/yyyy. But still I will let you know when I next try if that was the problem!

38 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Right, things I can think of to check off the top of my head:

-Make sure the LED on the mount is solid red and isn't flashing, a flashing light can indicate a poor power supply. 

-Make sure it is definitely Polaris you are looking at through the polar scope

- Make sure the mount is in the home position and the clutch levers tightened before you do a 1,2,3 star allignment.

-Correct time zone

-Correct format time and date

-Daylight saving currently = No

-Correct format co-ordinates (really easy to get this wrong)

I'd try a two star alignment using a wide angle eyepiece to find the star, then fine adjust using a high power eyepiece (de-focusing the star will make it easier to centre!)

I can't think of anything else obvious. If I get time I'll try and find a vid for the goto setup, maybe there is one on Youtube which might click any errors into place?

Cheers for the list Chris, I'll have to go through one by one to make sure I have done it all correctly.

The cold temperatures right now don't exactly help trying to remember all of those correct inputs!

But that's astronomy in the winter for you.

Thank you all, I'll get back to you and let you know if I've done it!

- Tom

• Like 1

Just a quick update to this post as for 2 nights now I've been able to get my mount to track correctly.

I think the problem originally was the home position of the mount. It seems it was set up still to Chris' old position. 

I've recently set my own home position whilst the OTA is pointing directly at Polaris then starting alignment.

On 04/01/2017 at 14:20, JemC said:

SynscanInit 2

JemC,

This has definitely been one of the biggest helps to get me started quickly!

Thanks all for the support.

- Tom

• Like 1

your welcome,
Glad i was of some help to you,:icon_biggrin: 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £650
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By pete_81
      Hi guys,
      With new mount and upgraded scope features, now looking to venture into imaging.
      Before I start, I'm not looking to get feedback on polar alignment, mono guidecam, better imaging cameras, etc; this is more a 'dummies guide' setup discussion! I'm not expecting to get great images at this stage, just more the options available, getting over some issues, so that I can jump outside on a clear night with an ideal, foolproof(!), setup for either imaging or visual as time would permit and what may work best for me. As you may guess from the topic name, I'm a mac user (Macbook Pro) and would rather keep to this if possible (whilst I do have Windows (and Ubuntu) via parallels, I'd rather not use these).
      I've got a setup which has worked well for visual, and obviously want to have a couple of 'staple' setups that I can use depending on expectations of night observing or imaging. So far, the best one for me has been the Skywatcher Wifi Synscan controller, which has worked a treat with my Android phone - I use the Synscan app to complete alignment and GOTO stars/planets/DSO etc, or Stellarium_plus after completing alignment. This removes the need for the Synscan Handset and any USB cables to the mount altogether. But I don't know if this will work for guiding.
      That then brings me to my issue on mac - connecting USB(A) between Macbook and Handset, I've attempted to control the mount through Stellarium. Trying each of the available connections (/dev/tty.usbsetial-1420, /dev/cu.usbsetial-1420, and just for sake of it, the /dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port) in the dropdown menu under DeviceSettings/SerialPort, I cannot get the mount to connect (well, more like selecting the telescope and clicking the "Start" on the TelescopeControl just results in the spinning icon and I have to Force-Quit Stellarium and start again with the same result each time. Annoyingly (for fellow mac users!), Parallels/Windows/Stellarium connects and controls the mount fine! As the mount is the newer "pro" type, I also have a USB connection directly under the hand-controller RJ45 and AutoGuider ST4 sockets, but using this still results in the same issue. Another issue I have seen is that when I unplug the USB from the computer when connected to the handset, the date on the controller jumps significantly - for example, last night at ~23:30, I was transported through the local wormhole galaxy to Jan 2048 according to Synscan! Obviously unplugging isn't going to happen during a genuine session, but just wondering if this is a possible issue somewhere?!
      Any other mac users connecting USB directly to the SW 'Pro' mounts?
      Software wise, would folks generally suggest steering away from Stellarium towards KStars or SkySafari(Plus) for controlling the mount?
      Can the Wifi dongle be used for controlling mount from computer (any OS) or do I need to go USB either to handset or directly to mount?
      Is there an issue in using Mac USB to the telescope compared to 'straight' Windows (i.e. PC/laptop with Windows instead of virtual)?
      Anyway, back to topic... I've a Nikon DSLR to use for primary camera at this stage, which would be triggered independently from guiding software. PHD2 is my hopeful choice of guiding software (is EKOS with KStars similar?), with T7C guide-camera on 240mm f/4 guidescope, and at this stage, I can confirm PHD2 at least connects to the camera on OS-X. There is an ST4 port on the camera, but having read several topics, I think I want to pulse-guide directly - is this correct or is ST4 best for this setup? This sorta comes back to software and connections - my understanding is one of the following cable setups for guiding (as a minimum) :
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => USB(A) => SynscanHandset => AZEQ6
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => USB(A) => AZEQ6
      Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2 => Wifi => SynscaWifi Adapter on AZEQ6
      [using ST4: ST4_on_AZEQ6 => Guiding-camera => USB(A) => Macbook => PHD2] (no additional connections needed if ST4 is used)
      Additionally, I'd like to use an observatory package, say Stellarium/KStars/SkySafari, to select objects and drive the mount, then use guiding software to keep good 'tracking'.
      Where in this train does EQMac fit in, or when is it used?
      What about the 2019 addition to EQMod (ASCOM Alpaca)? Can this be used or is it already in other packages?!
      For Windows users, how does EQMod fit in (if I go down route of getting Windows laptop for controlling things, is the setup similar to above?
      There may be bits in the above that repeat, and for that, I'm sorry, just want to get across the message that I'm new to the guiding but haven't quite settled down into the software/hardware I'm expecting to use for 'goto' and 'guiding'
      TLDR:
      For a mac user, what setup and software are folks using for guiding and observatory softwares for the newer USB-on-mount 'AZEQ6/EQ6-R Pro' mounts from SW?
    • By steppenwolf
      Vixen Polarie Star Tracker with Vixen Quick Polaris Locator Compass in mint condition - For Sale.
      This mint condition Polarie Star Tracker and Vixen Polaris Locator Compass have only been used during the course of a review that I carried out for Vixen UK and will be supplied in their original boxes with manuals.
      This tracker is the ultimate in portable camera tracking mounts being lightweight yet manufactured to Vixen’s usual exemplary high standard and the additional Vixen Polaris Locator Compass makes polar alignment for wide field imaging quick and simple.
      The new price for the two items would be £399.00
      For sale at £195.00 delivered. Payment by bank transfer - WILL NOT SELL OUTSIDE UK.
      Polarie Star Tracker

Vixen Quick Polaris Locator Compass

• By etunar
      Last week I discovered a reasonably wobble on the RA axis on my HEQ5 which ended up causing lots of double stars on my subs (i am guessing because the mount kept wobbling between the two positions.) So I did the worm gear adjustment and the wobble seems to have disappeared. I did a full slew rotation check and couldn't tell any binding/grinding (I had binding at 1st attempt but was resolved after further adjustments).
      Thanks to the clear skies last few nights, I had it running throughout the night 3 times now. My overall guiding is much better than before, averaging between 0.6 and 0.8 Total error. However, when the mount gets closer to the home position (usually after 2-3am), I seem to start having tracking issues. I have attached screenshots to show examples; sometimes it's trailing, sometimes it's double stars, and sometimes it makes a u-turn to track back to the original position.
      PHD log files from another night are here: https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_tych.zip
      Is this a balance issue that becomes apparent when the mount is more vertical? I'm relatively new to using this mount, so most of my previous sessions have been closer to the meridian. Or is my worm gear tightened just a bit too much and causing issues? I can't really hear anything wrong when slewing at high speed.
      Only other thing i can think of is, I sometimes get error messages on PHD but pulse command being ineffective, but these happen at other times as well without causing any issues.
      It's losing me 7-8 frames over the span of 2.5 hours, so it would be nice to get it resolved if anyone has any ideas?
      Thanks

• By Marsto
      Hi
      I am looking for help and advice on my SynScan EQ5 pro problem which i am struggling with. Everything was working fine and as expected. I have never updated the firmware and thought while i had everything connected i would update the Hand Controller and the skywatcher WiFi dongle. 
      Everything updated first time without issue and i was pleased to be up to date. However i loaded SynScan app on the pc which connected fine through the handset and USB/Serial adaptor cable. I clicked on the movement arrows and nothing happened, i then went in to a random 1 star alignment and again no response from the motors. 
      I powered off again and instead of the PC i tried the hand controller, i tried a 1 star alignment and the hand controller was displaying the slewing but again no response from the motors. in panic i then did the same with the WiFi dongle and phone app, same thing the software is showing movement but the scope remains still. 
      Knowing all was well prior to firmware updates i reverted back to the previous firmware version and no difference, i tried it again in Lo mode and still nothing. I then noticed a firmware update for the Motor Control so thought i had nothing to loose i updated the Motor Control firmware and again no sign of life from the Motors. I have swapped the cables around, checked that they are all inserted correctly, the power is from mains not battery and the power source is plugged in to a a Power Filter and Surge protector. 
      I have little experience of circuit board electronics, i was struggling to find similar experiences online other than voltage issues due to batteries which is not the case. I have opened it up and no obvious loose cables of solder loose, but this was straight after the firmware update which seemed to have installed and updated very smoothly no crashes etc. 
      Any help would be really appreciated. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.