Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading. Skywatcher EQ3 PRO Synscan GOTO or Skywatcher EQ5 with dual axis DC motors?

Hey guys,

I've been using my alt/az mount for a few months now for astrophotography and have been getting some satisfactory results, but I am starting to get held back by the 30s exposure limit of the mount and so I am in need of an upgrade to a EQ mount for longer exposures. My problem is my budget is pretty slim (Student life) so I have been looking and I believe I have found the two best options for me, but I am in need of your expert advice. I have narrowed down the search to either the Skywatcher EQ3 Pro Synscan GOTO from FLO, or the Skywatcher EQ5 Deluxe with dual axis motor drives. My gut tells me that the EQ5 option is going to be the best choice, but the familiarity and previous success with the Synscan system is tempting. If anyone could give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated!

They say that the mount is the most important thing in AP, so EQ5 would be the better choice. I base this opinion to the fact that EQ5 is sturdier and would handle more load.

Thanks for your reply, 

I've been trying to read as much as I can about the EQ5 route but I can't tell how difficult it is going to be to get the longest exposures out of it. I've had a single axis motor driven EQ3 mount before but I didn't have much luck with it, 10 - 15s exposures, and that was after setting it up for an hour. Is the dual-axis option something you set up and away it goes, or does it need fine tuning?

My knowledge of the sky isn't that good, so the Synscan system would save me a heap of time locating the target, I've also heard that the motors in the Goto are better than the dual-axis motors?

Ideally I want something that I'll be able to upgrade to autoguiding in the future, which I guess the EQ5 mount is better suited for. 

17 hours ago, Josh40996 said:

Thanks for your reply, 

I've been trying to read as much as I can about the EQ5 route but I can't tell how difficult it is going to be to get the longest exposures out of it. I've had a single axis motor driven EQ3 mount before but I didn't have much luck with it, 10 - 15s exposures, and that was after setting it up for an hour. Is the dual-axis option something you set up and away it goes, or does it need fine tuning?

My knowledge of the sky isn't that good, so the Synscan system would save me a heap of time locating the target, I've also heard that the motors in the Goto are better than the dual-axis motors?

Ideally I want something that I'll be able to upgrade to autoguiding in the future, which I guess the EQ5 mount is better suited for. 

I have been doing AP for few months now and this is how I experienced everything.

• Setup takes long and in time you will get faster with it.
  • There are lots of things to remember and you WILL forget some -> Errors in tracking, stuff like that.
  • Fine tuning and adjusting will never go away. Learning curve is steep with GOTO EQ mounts, but in time you will master it.
  • EQMOD (control scope with PC, not with handheld set) is awesome and (one might say) the best way to control your scope/setup.
  • They say guiding is one of the most important step up in AP and it will make long exposure pics possible/easier
  • You will get mad about everything but it will pass.

Again, buy EQ5 with motors and start doing AP with it and get some knowledge about EQMOD. I think buying EQ3 will lead you buying EQ5 when you realize eq3 is not up for it.

ps.

My setup is. EQ5 mount with AstroEQ (third party motor/scope controller box). Everything is managed with my small PC with EQMOD installed.

For example. Last night, temps about -20c with wind it was about -25c. Weather was the first thing, but you will manage it if you wear proper clothes. Everything was SUPPOSED to be ready, but somehow It was not....Ended up hauling everything back inside after many hours of failed attempts for controlling my scope. Went back to sleep at 00:43.

Problem was with my AstroEQ box not connected with my PC (just restart was needed) I never noticed it, but now I will.

Archived