Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

I have just returned from a family trip to Herefordshire (Black Mountains) to see relatives and although I sneaked in my binoculars failed to pack suitable warm clothes for a reasonable observing session.

The sky is truly dark here, I had forgotten just how good it was and a dark sky makes, I was blown away.

Saw things I cannot see from my Essex light polluted location and reminded myself why I sky watch.

Frosted binocular lenses rather than Dewed up telescope and frozen hands ended my observing,

which was not a bad thing as recovering from full on man flu!

• Like 6

Good dark skies can't be beat...if you think it's dark there try Elan valley!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, estwing said:

Good dark skies can't be beat...if you think it's dark there try Elan valley!!!!

any tips on particular places there to go?

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have just returned from a family trip to Herefordshire (Black Mountains) to see relatives and although I sneaked in my binoculars failed to pack suitable warm clothes for a reasonable observing session.

The sky is truly dark here, I had forgotten just how good it was and a dark sky makes, I was blown away.

Saw things I cannot see from my Essex light polluted location and reminded myself why I sky watch.

Frosted binocular lenses rather than Dewed up telescope and frozen hands ended my observing,

which was not a bad thing as recovering from full on man flu!

Hello. Nice trip by the sounds of things , I suppose that's why they call them the Black mountains , as it's nice and black in the location?

But seriously how dark was the dark site on  your visit?  Was there a sprinkling of stars everywhere and was the silver ribbon of the milkyway clearly visible with mark one eyeballs? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, imballinger said:

any tips on particular places there to go?

Anywhere near !....we rough camp and love it!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Timebandit said:

Hello. Nice trip by the sounds of things , I suppose that's why they call them the Black mountains , as it's nice and black in the location?

But seriously how dark was the dark site on  your visit?  Was there a sprinkling of stars everywhere and was the silver ribbon of the milkyway clearly visible with mark one eyeballs? 

It was a wonderful trip, mainly seeing family, but the sky was wonderful.
MK1 eyeball showed the Milkyway clearly, a serious shower of stars everywhere and when I looked at Perseus stars I have never seen before as my home sky is such rubbish in comparison.

Need a way of sneaking in (yeah right) the scope and kit for a proper viewing session another time over winter, or at best better clothing, tripod for my binos and some time, which is the most likely option.

I have to say it was the sky here when Halle Bopp was about many years ago that hooked me into astronomy in the first place.

• Like 2