Damp ?

Ive got a Skywatcher 250px flextube, ill be storing it in my garage under a green witch scope cover, im wondering if i need to do anything else to protect the telescope in any way ?

It obviously has the plastic cover in place in the middle, and also has an elastic fabric dust cover for the top.

Just make sure that the air can circulate. Some people put the shower cap on the bottom to prevent their Dob becoming home to an interesting range of creepy crawlies.

Make sure that you leave your scope horizontal for a while on bringing it inside. This allows any moisture to run off the mirror. Then bring it upright and put on the cover.

Great scope.

Paul

No idea if you can get one, maybe make one but a cover to slip over the mirror itself would seem a fair idea. Similar sort of thing as goes on the front end of most scopes. Just thinking it would prevent dust settling and prevent assorted spiders living on it.

For all I know it may come with one.

Allow the air to circulate otherwise and moisture inside will stay inside and will without doubt end up where you don't want it to.

My scope is  dust capped, shower capped,  cotton sheeted and over wrapped with a heavy duty  plastic bag, so  pretty much  well secure in its storage cupboard, inside a warm kitchen.  
Have a look around your garage and see what has rusted or is  in the process of rusting? I'm not sure, what can/could rust on your scope, but if there is anything looking dodgy, then I 'd assume that the air does not circulate  freely allowing for conditions where oxidization can occur.

The mirror, like any mirror in a shed, garage, cellar will collect dust, cobwebs,  bugs,  bug poop! so that needs a proper cover, but a breathable one. If the shed is dry, breathable and secure, I see no reason why you should not keep the scope in the garage. If the garage temperature is ambient, there will be less time required to cool the scope  prior to any observation! 

yup the garage is dry, breathable and secure, its usually not much warmer than outside but im reading that might be a good thing

might look into a breathable cover for the bottom to prevent spiders etc :happy11:

I use TeleGizmo's ScopeCovers, of the 365 series: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_t365.htm.
They are absolutely great. I leave my scope and mount outside under the cover with skibootheaters under the cover at the mounts height to keep the temperature just above dewpoint.
No problems with moist nor heat, rain, snow or sunshine. Have to leave them open at the bottom for airification.

Archived