Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Open Club  ·  18 members

West Midlands
imballinger

Church Stretton - Burway

Has anyone been to this dark site? and what was your experiences? Have made a couple attempts myself, first time was foggy, second time was closed due to ice, I am hoping to be able to actually go stargazing there soon haha

I've observed from Carding Mill Valley. You only get overhead views, but there's a bit more protection from wind. To be honest the drive up to the Long Mynd and back looked a bit hairy, so I didn't fancy it.

The Bog carpark further West is even better. It's the other side of the Long Mynd, which acts as a barrier for light pollution rom the East. Here's a link showing the carpark.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZaY2iRUJW7R2

The skies are excellent and it's not too exposed.

Andy.

I've imaged from the Long Mynd via Church Stretton, many, many years ago. The drive back down on an untreated road needed a bit of care but wow, the sky was something else. 

The wind was a bit of a problem, even made a custom windbreak to try to combat this, Andyb90's alternative sounds like a good idea,

I am certainly looking forward to imaging there again when we retire and move back to the Midlands.