Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M37 in Auriga

gnomus

13 hours ago, coatesg said:

No worries! Aladin is a really useful tool - I use it a lot, even if just checking out framing, objects etc. Let me know if you get stuck!

Hi Graem

I can pretty much replicate your steps.  And so I can match up the Aladin image with my own and comparing this with my image identify which star in the Aladin image looks like the carbon star in my image.  I got the same result as you did, which is reassuring.  Of course, the Aladin generated image is at a different rotation than my image.  It would be really useful to be able to use Aladin on my own image.  Here is where things started to go a bit skew whiff.  I shoot my subs in SGP.  I use SGP's framing and mosaic wizard and so plate solve info is embedded in the FITS subs.  I have checked in PI and it certainly shows RA and Dec information in its 'Fits Header' process window.  By the time I have finished the image, the FITS information seems to have disappeared.  So I decided to try loading up one of my stretched subs.  Aladin seemed to load an inverted view:

Green_Fits.jpg

And when I tried to load the  Simbad database I got this:

SIMBAD.jpg

Any ideas?

Incidentally, I did try uploading my image to Astrometry Net but that was an exercise in frustration: everything seemed extremely slow.  After many attempts, I managed to upload my image, but clicking on any area of the site after that resulted only in reports of internal server errors. 

Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Odd - I'll do the same thing and see what's happening. Aladin should just pickup WCS embedded data from the fits header (though you can do matching to assign a coordinate set manually - eg if you have a jpg)

Archived