Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quadrantids meteor shower

Managed to get out for my first astro shoot of 2017. Having taken 80 plus shots of bits of the sky, I think I have possibly managed to get one meteor in a frame... 

I was also experimenting with my iOptron SkyTracker which really struggles with a large pro DSLR, but rather chuffed with the results.   Images processed in Lightroom and then Photoshop, working as layers to auto align, then converting to smart object to stack - with a final luminosity mask - I am yet to get to grips with the proper software :) 

OK this is a combination of 11 shots, this is looking along the Milky Way from the Pleiades or Seven Sisters (M45) down to Andromeda Galaxy (M31) - shot on Canon 1Dx, Tamron 15-30 at 15mm, ISO 4,000, 30" seconds at f2.8

Pleiades-Andromeda-Meteor-Stackx11-small.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy also known as Messier 31 - shot with 1Dx, 70-200 f4 - ISO 6,400, f4, 30" Seconds - stack of 7 x shots...

Andromeda Galaxy -Stack-x-7-small.jpg

A couple more stacks of Orion and the Pleiades, the first is a stack of 4 the second close up is 5 images

Orion-Pleiades-Stackx4-small.jpg

Orion---Stackx5-small.jpg

21 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Been out most of the evening and not seen a single meteor, usually see two or three random ones most clear nights.

Dave

Hi Dave, I tried to respond to this earlier this morning. I was not totally sure of the actual short Quadrantids window, I was getting conflicting information and a post that it had started while I was out. Over the 3 hour period I was out I possibly saw 10 meteors, all of which were quite small so it was not a great number. They may have be rogues, but it was nice to get out with the camera and see a decent sky. Tonight there is no visibility :(

22 minutes ago, John Baker said:

Hi Dave, I tried to respond to this earlier this morning. I was not totally sure of the actual short Quadrantids window, I was getting conflicting information and a post that it had started while I was out. Over the 3 hour period I was out I possibly saw 10 meteors, all of which were quite small so it was not a great number. They may have be rogues, but it was nice to get out with the camera and see a decent sky. Tonight there is no visibility :(

Peak is tonight but it's cloudy here as well, they originate from somewhere between Ursa Major and Bootes, may be a few during the rest of the week.

Dave

15 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Peak is tonight but it's cloudy here as well, they originate from somewhere between Ursa Major and Bootes, may be a few during the rest of the week.

Dave

I was getting conflicting information on this shower, some stating it was very short lived for only a couple of hours, other saying it was over a few days - but happy with what I saw, just nice to have a nice clear winter night post moon set :) 

15 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

I was hoping to catch a few tonight, but cloudy as always lately.

Great shots John, where were they captured?

I live in Teignmouth, these are taken about 5 mins from my home on top of Little Haldon which is my favourite "go too" location, there is a bit of light pollution but it is good enough longer lens work. I am lucky as I am 30 mins from Dartmoor and some nice costal sites if I need darker skies.

2 minutes ago, John Baker said:

I was getting conflicting information on this shower, some stating it was very short lived for only a couple of hours, other saying it was over a few days - but happy with what I saw, just nice to have a nice clear winter night post moon set :) 

I live in Teignmouth, these are taken about 5 mins from my home on top of Little Haldon which is my favourite "go too" location, there is a bit of light pollution but it is good enough longer lens work. I am lucky as I am 30 mins from Dartmoor and some nice costal sites if I need darker skies.

They're supposedly active from the 28th December to the 12th January  but the peak appears to be over just 3rd January.

Dave

Archived