Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Helios Apollo 15x70s, thoughts and a question

trynda1701

I have a Celestron SkyMaster 15 X 70 that came with the same style adapter you've pictured - but made of plastic. It danced the Hula under the weight of the binocs. Might be quite good when crafted of metal. I'm just curious about what fits the Helios Apollo.

My Celestrons' have a metal 'L' adapter. On an Orion-USA light-weight photo-type tripod. Perfectly stable to me. But never tried this in high winds. Was going to set-up tonight. Got my Maksutov out and was about to get the binocs when the Moon dove under a very heavy band of clouds. Not even a single-shaft of Moonlight escaped!

Defeated - I began pulling the gear back.

Dave

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dave in Vermont

The one on the left probably won't, it's like the one I got that stops the IPD closing down to minimum on the Apollos. I'm not sure on the one on the right though, I was considering one of them, till I was advised about the one I got from Strathspey Binoculars, which is like the one Micheal posted, and it's metal. I've still to try it out under the stars, but it seems rock solid on my monopod.

Mark

What @michael.h.f.wilkinson said: go for the cast one; I have several and they are superior to the bent metal "L" ones.

BITB would certainly not fit any of the BA8 (Helios Apollo, Oberwerk Ultra, Orion Resolux, WO,etc.) ...x50 or ...x70 range - it is too wide to fit the recess between the prism housings.
BITC might fit, but it's designed for much lighter roof prism binocs (hence the "RP") and would almost certainly introduce the vibration that Michael mentioned.

2 hours ago, trynda1701 said:

@Dave in Vermont

The one on the left probably won't, it's like the one I got that stops the IPD closing down to minimum on the Apollos. I'm not sure on the one on the right though, I was considering one of them, till I was advised about the one I got from Strathspey Binoculars, which is like the one Micheal posted, and it's metal. I've still to try it out under the stars, but it seems rock solid on my monopod.

Mark

They are rock solid. I sold the one in the image with my Helios Apollo 15x70 HDs, but still have another for my lighter bins. The big Opticron 16x80s have a built-in tripod mounting which is superb. I briefly had a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70s with the plastic mount and that was totally useless. I replaced it with the one I posted earlier, and never looked back. 

Np, Steve. Been caught out by that myself before.

The one on the right had looked to me like it might have a flex problem due to the narrowing, which was why I wasn't keen on trying it. I hadn't realised it's actually designed for roof prism binoculars.

Mark

Archived