Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Helios Apollo 15x70s, thoughts and a question

trynda1701

Happy New Year everyone.

So, after seeing the following thread from Steve Tonkin about some Helios Apollos on Astroboot...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/281072-heads-up-apollo-15x70-on-astroboot/

...I decided to have a punt a few weeks back at the second pair, as I knew I had some Christmas money coming, and had some birthday money left over. I'd had a pair two years ago, but had to send back to FLO, who were great as always with customer service, and ended up getting a Heritage Flexitube 130P instead. But now, I have a good second hand pair, well worth the £150!

'Second' First Light!

So, having had a few views before I sent my original pair back, here's my second attempt at using a pair! Despite the awful weather and all the running around for Christmas, I managed to test them properly early hours of the 21st between 02:00 and 03:30 from the bedroom window (it was bloody freezing outside!). Even through the double glazing, and just handheld, had a good view of the Orion area, and had good long looks at M42, NGC1981, the Belt star area (lots of lovely patterns of stars around there), M41, and across to M47 and M48, as well as the other direction up to the Hyades and M45 of course. I also managed to see the Last Quarter Moon from the other side of the house as it rose above the trees. The difference in the crispness and especially greater brightness of the Apollos over my old Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 10x50Ws, was as impressive as I remember it two years back. I actually felt as if I was squinting with the 10x50s, and they've done me proud for over 25 years! And over the last two nights, despite being unwell, I had good detailed views of the thin crescent Moon near Venus, and got to see Neptune for the first time next to Mars on the 1st, again even thru the double glazing! So I'm VERY pleased with my purchase.

Now I just  have to find what I did with my 'L' bracket to try them out on my Manfrotto monopod, it's around somewhere! Thanks go to Steve Tonkin for pointing them out here on the Lounge, I very much appreciate it!

By the way, for all you here who have the Apollos, does anyone have a recommended replacement for the supplied neck strap, it just looks too thin and flimsy for the weight of the Apollos!

Mark

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good report.

I sadly had to return mine, as there was an issue with a particle that had somehow become attached to the inside of the left eyepiece?
Despite attempts (I have another thread) It would not dislodge!

One other thing I noted, my  adapter bracket ( came with my 222 trigger grip) was too wide to fit between the prism housing,  but the binoculars went back before I attempted to re-order a thinner bracket?
Without being able to steady the binoculars, the  quick hand held view  at M31 may have been  an improvement over my present 15x70's, but shake, weather.,cloud and seeing were at the time non to favorable, sort of getting used to the constant bad weather of recent times.

I will consider another set, though I like the  brand name of  Oberwerk, which I`m reliably informed are very much the same internally.

As it was forecast to be clear and chilly baltic tonight, I had another look at the Moon in the Apollos through the bedroom window between 20:00-20:40 earlier this evening.

Good view again with the Moon nearing First Quarter in the 15x70s. The detail visible in comparison over my Jenoptem 10x50Ws was amazing. Good view of Mare Serenitatis just about fully in view, with Aristoteles and Eudoxus to the north well seen. And the crater fields to the south on the terminator were just seen so much sharper than in the 10x50s. Like I said when I got my Heritage 130P Flexitube, the detail in something so small in apeture is brilliant. In the Helios' case of course, it's the step UP in brightness and resolution especially that sells it for me.

I'm SO glad I decided to have a go again at getting a pair of the Apollos, and at essentially half price, it was worth the punt! And if I haven't conveyed my enthusiasm at having the Apollos again, may I just say thank you, thank you, thank you again to Mr Tonkin for posting the link to Astroboot for these!!! Steve, you are the man!:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Mark

On 03/01/2017 at 09:36, Star Struck said:

I use  Black Rapid binocular neck strap as shown here:

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/J361250B/binocular-accessories/black-rapid/binocular-strap?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CMCInfnVpdECFUQ6Gwody_gAWQ

It can handle the weight very easily.

Tony

I like BR stuff for my cameras, and that's a nice looking strap - but I don't see how it aids steadying a 15x bin. Unless you're pulling it out taught about your neck....and using extending eyetubes, lol!

:D

@ghostdance

I was looking for a sturdier strap just to support the Helios when I needed my hands free. Definitely would be difficult to use it to get steadier views!:icon_biggrin:

@themos

By the way, how are you getting on with the other pair that were on Astroboot?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Had another good look at the crescent Moon tonight before dinner with the Apollos handheld in the twilight between 17:05 and 17:25GMT as the sky cleared briefly after a very cloudy day. Nice crisp views again, loving getting a quick look at something in the night sky, as the few late nights it's been clear in the last few weeks have been very hazy!:hmh:

Another question to fellow Apollo owners if I may? What 'L' shaped tripod/monopod bracket fits them? When I ordered my original pair two years back, I got a Opticron 31005 at the same time, not realising that the Apollos had a bracket included. But with this second hand pair, there was no bracket included, and having finally found the Opticron bracket, it doesn't fit, the screw is too narrow to fit the Apollo front, centre thread. Looks like it has to be a narrower bracket as well, so can people advise which bracket to get which will definitely fit the Apollos please?:icon_biggrin:

Mark

Glad you're enjoying them, Trynda :happy11:

After a bit of a hiatus owing to one or two personal and professional issues, it'll be nice to get out and about again with my own kit - if only there was a prospect of clear skies in the near future.....  :help:

Regards,

A

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2017 at 21:49, ghostdance said:

I like BR stuff for my cameras, and that's a nice looking strap - but I don't see how it aids steadying a 15x bin. Unless you're pulling it out taught about your neck....and using extending eyetubes, lol!

A strap can help if you use it a bit like a rifle sling, only to brace your elbows in place.

Thus:

http://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php

That said, I've tried it with 15 x 60s and while it made a difference it was not really enough for me.

5 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Yes, that's the one to use; don't try one of the flat metal L-brackets as they don't fit in the recess between the prism housings.

Yes, going on Tony and Steves' recommendation, I'll get one of those ordered. The Opticron one I got for my original pair of Apollos indeed will not fit. I hadn't realised that before I sent that pair back to FLO back in 2014, which had a bracket supplied which was of the correct style, as it were.

Thanks as always, fellow Stargazers, for the help and info. Much appreciated!

Mark

On 14/02/2017 at 09:44, Star Struck said:

I use this one with my Apollos:  http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/bracket.html

Solid as a rock and a good price too....

Tony

Dagnabit, the bracket is unfortunately out of stock at Strathspey. Any other recommendations for a similar bracket? Don't want to get one that turns out to be not up to the task of supporting the Apollos.

Mark

On 2/16/2017 at 22:47, SpaceBass said:

Here's exactly the same one for a bit more (it's sold under a few names, such as Strathspey and Danubia). 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Danubia-Tripod-Adapter-For-Binoculars-TAM-London-/232236399682?hash=item36125e3c42:g:hS4AAOSwOgdYnq7T

Bit unsure about that source, as I saw you had a bit of concern in your original post, since edited. Plus the seller has had a few negative feedback comments left in the last month, including items not delivered or wrong item entirely.

Any other recommendations from anyone?

• 4 months later...

I checked last week with Strathspey to see if they had their binocular adaptor, and John had one in stock, which I received on Monday (thanks John).

So of COURSE the weather hasn't been kind. Today, Thursday, was especially yuch here!

I didn't realise that the astronomy weather curse extended to such small pieces of kit like binocular adaptors!??

Mark

7 hours ago, trynda1701 said:

II didn't realise that the astronomy weather curse extended to such small pieces of kit like binocular adaptors!??

Phew! And there was I thinking I was to blame because I got a Star Adventurer to put my PST on...

16 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

Phew! And there was I thinking I was to blame because I got a Star Adventurer to put my PST on...

OK, own up, when for you order it??

I was hoping the high pressure ridge coming in fron the west might have given me clear skies tonight, but no such luck of course!?

Waiting patiently again.

Mark

6 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Would either of these steel L-Adapters work for the Helio Apollo 15 X 70's?

ss_bitb.jpg.7b9c4ad89aded27060bb5f7a92abba2f.jpg

Trying to nail this down to add to my files (the Miles-O'-Files) of info for people here.

Thank you any & all!

Dave

Not sure aboutthese particular ones, but I have found similar brackets made from what is essentially a flat steel plate bent into an L shape are not quite as still as the thicker, cast-metal bracket I used with my Helios Apollo 15x70 HDs. The L brackets seemed to show more vibration.IMG_20170619_210045.thumb.jpg.0da5a60fd8494f244c89653af4ee9543.jpg

Archived