Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first proper session.

Daz69

Managed to get outside for an hour or so, just got back indoors, ruddy freezin' out there tonight! As I've only got the standard EP's that came with the telescope (2 new Plossl's and a barlow coming in the next day or 2) I didn't get to see much apart from stars. I saw the Garnet Star which was quite pretty and red, Pleiades a gorgeous cluster, and Beetleguese nice and orange. Couldn't see any nebula, well not that I could tell anyways. Hoping that when the new glass arrives it will give me a little more. 

Unfortunately my rear garden faces North and I have a street lamp directly outside the front of my house, so I get a better view northwards, but with Pleiades being southerly and almost directly above, I did get a lovely view. Looking forward to my next session.

6 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

Unfortunately my rear garden faces North and I have a street lamp directly outside the front of my house, so I get a better view northwards

I know your predicament, I can only look high and North from my garden, but find a place to hide in the shadows, or a site with no visible street lighting, and you`ll think you have got another scope?
My area of observation is Ursa major through to  Cassiopeia and anything  in between, with  no  low views of the horizon? 

Nice one Daz! :)

If you got clear views of Betlegeuse then M42 should've been visible very close by in Orion, unless you had some whispy high level cloud obscuring it - better luck next time. But you did get to learn the first lesson of astronomy - it's not about warm nights and bbq's - it's about standing in the freezing cold of winter when the sky is at it's clearest - for that you need layers and long johns lol. :)

(M42 is in the middle of a string of smudges hanging under the diagonal line of 3 brights stars just below Betlegeuse)

Hi Brantuk. I think I'm struggling with getting used to the back to front image from my eyepiece, as I was going the wrong way most times lol. I ended up mostly just panning around and finding something, then using my iphone app to see what it was I was looking at, and then slowly moving around it to see what else was there.

I don't rate these eyepieces that came with it, but then again it could just be me not using them to the best of their ability. I was using my 20mm to find things, then sometimes changing to my 10mm, especilly for the Garnet Star and Beetlegeuse, but Pleiades was awesome with the 20mm, but stupid me I was saying to myself that it didn't look the same as using naked eye, but then the eyepiece  inverts it, and that's what was throwing me.

Hoping tonight will be clear again so I can go and have another play :D 

Nice first session Daz, at least you found something identifiable which is probably more than I managed on my first go!

Do you have a finderscope or red dot finder? Are they lined up correctly?

Depending upon your scope, a Telrad or Rigel finder can be handy, or a RACI finder which gives a correct view and makes life easier!

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice first session Daz, at least you found something identifiable which is probably more than I managed on my first go!

Do you have a finderscope or red dot finder? Are they lined up correctly?

Depending upon your scope, a Telrad or Rigel finder can be handy, or a RACI finder which gives a correct view and makes life easier!

Hi Stu. I only have the silly red dot finder that is part of the tube opening/spider mount, however the battery is flat. I might have a spare battery. I haven't set it up yet, and may just remove it as it's held onto the casing by 2 small screws, and get the Telrad. I'll have to look at an RACI finder, not sure what they are. 

2 hours ago, Daz69 said:

...........I'm struggling with getting used to the back to front image from my eyepiece, as I was going the wrong way most times...............

All comes with practice, and will become second nature before you know it. I can now instantly move from any  target and track satellites or meteors without a seconds thought, it just happens, lots of practice . 

As for the images, I see the Stars with normal vision, better with my  prescription glasses  ( but don't use glasses at the scope).
The visuals  through my scope are inverted,  I  keep both eyes open when using the finder scope, and can't use the Telrad without glasses. What a conundrum!

A RACI ( Right Angled Corrected Image )  finder scope allows you to see the image the right way up. The finder has a right angled eyepiece arrangement for better reach/access, making it easier to locate a target, but does not correct the telescopes image on a  Newtonian reflector scope.

3 hours ago, Daz69 said:

I'm struggling with getting used to the back to front image from my eyepiece

We've all certainly been there at some early stage of taking up the hobby. Telrads are good but a bit big and ugly - more often found on large dobsonians - but there is another similar reflex sight that can be used called the "Rigel Quick Finder" which is more suited to smaller scopes:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Alternatively a RACI finder (right angled correct image) is a useful piece to have. The scope moves more naturally (L,R,U,D) and once on target you just look in the scope eyepiece and there's the object - still inverted and wrong way round - but at least you found it easier. I also like the multi reticule red dot finders - very lightweight but equally good. Hth :)

As Stu says you had a success on your first night, lots don't.

It really is a matter of practice, don't be too ambitious at first, try to observe a couple of new objects per night to boost your confidence.

If I was in your position I would set up in the front early in the evening and enjoy views of the moon, the street lamp won't be much of a problem. I have to contend with two at the front but still have some good lunar observing.

To make lunar observing more interesting the Virtual Moon Atlas is a great tool:- https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks guys, that's a big help. I've just been out and viewed the new moon! I know it probably doesn't mean much to you guys having been doing it for donks, but it's my first ever view of the moon through a scope. The detail is brilliant, however it moves too fast :D  

While I was setting up, I heard a robin in a nearby tree, so I managed to just catch this on my phone camera through the EP, enjoy :)

8212bb8b-0671-4058-a605-37944cd31c50_zps

53 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

you guys having been doing it for donks

I was a late starter - only been doing it for 8yrs or so and I never did get used to moving the scope with an upside down reversed image. So I have two goto mounts with arrow keys, 3 raci's, 3 multi reticule rdf's, and a Telrad lol. Just so you know you ain't alone Daz. :grin:

48 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I was a late starter - only been doing it for 8yrs or so and I never did get used to moving the scope with an upside down reversed image. So I have two goto mounts with arrow keys, 3 raci's, 3 multi reticule rdf's, and a Telrad lol. Just so you know you ain't alone Daz. :grin:

Would love to see all of that on one scope :D:D

16 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

Would love to see all of that on one scope

Ahhh.... well at the last count my current collection consists of ten or eleven scopes - and my collection is relatively small compared to some of the chaps on here. lol :)

2 hours ago, Daz69 said:

Thanks guys, that's a big help. I've just been out and viewed the new moon! I know it probably doesn't mean much to you guys having been doing it for donks, but it's my first ever view of the moon through a scope. The detail is brilliant, however it moves too fast :D  

While I was setting up, I heard a robin in a nearby tree, so I managed to just catch this on my phone camera through the EP, enjoy :)

8212bb8b-0671-4058-a605-37944cd31c50_zps

Never gets boring, I still love looking at the moon, infact I was doing it last night and thoroughly enjoying it. I still take dodgy iPhone shots too ;) 

IMG_8540.JPG

It was indeed freezing cold yesterday night! I was actually kind of grateful that my battery died whilst taking a few shots, as it meant I had an excuse to go back in for a cup of tea!

I've also got the issue of having a streetlamp at the end of the garden, so its a case of positioning well enough to avoid most of the light, yet still have something half decent to try and get a picture of! Inconsiderate housing developers lol :rolleyes2: Because my equipment is pretty...well..crap(!), I can't really see the Orion Nebula either, but I know where it is, which is damn frustrating!!

Haven't stuck my head out the window to check yet, but hoping its another glorious clear night.

The clouds came over around 6pm so it's been a night in catching up on a few recorded TV programs, and greasing all of the pivot points on my scope EQ mount. It now moves so much smoothly, rather than the notchy jumping that I had. Why don't they do this at the factory? Ideally it should have bearings, but I won't get hung up on it as I know its a cheap mount. I've done what I can to it to make it better. 

I've never liked the finder on the Astromaster - it's usually the first thing folks change and the one you link to is fine though I do prefer the Orion 9x50 Raci which gives a wider view and a corrected image:

https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/finderscopes/orion-9x50-right-angle-finder.html

Yes you will need the shoe to fit - you might get away with using the holes in the tube left by the existing finder when you remove it. At least then you will have a standard shoe that fits most Skywatcher, Celestron, and Orion finders. :)

(You can pick up the Orion ones for around £40-£50 second hand in good nick in the SGL classifieds or on UK Astro Buy/Sell)).

Archived