Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a BST 15mm. Eyepiece.

I'm now looking for a 25mm and 8mm eyepiece. Also a x2 Barlow.

I need long eye relief as I wear glasses for observing.

Thank you,

Darrell

Hi Darrell.  Would you need an 8mm if you already have a 15mm and are looking at a 2x Barlow?  Are you planning to barlow the 8mm?

Edited by RayD

11 minutes ago, RayD said:

Hi Darrell.  Would you need an 8mm if you already have a 15mm and are looking at a 2x Barlow?  Are you planning to barlow the 8mm?

Hi RayD,

I have a 200mm dob. Apparently the maximum useful mag would be 300x so my plan is to use the 8mm with a Barlow which, I think, will give me the 300x mag. This is all new to me so I'm happy to be corrected.

Thanks 

Darrell

Hi Darrell.  No it's all fine, I just wondered if it would be better to get a decent 4.7mm or similar for your highest mag which you can then use un-barlowed, and the 15mm would then cover the missing 8mm slot if used with a barlow?

I don't suppose there is a right or wrong way, it's just most try to fill any gaps if using barlows so you're not doubling up, but I guess in this instance either way will work.

An 8mm eyepiece in the 200P dob gives you 150x magnification which is good for planetary observing. I personally enjoy looking at planets around 180x - 200x mag on a clear night. Generally the rule is to use as little glass as possible between your eye and the object - they are all coated with anti reflection material so the views do suffer a little using barlows - avoid them where you can. The only one I use nowadays is a 2x Powermate which is amazing for the light it lets through - but it is expensive.

The BST's are nice mid range eyepieces - very serviceable and great for your first upgrade with a new scope. Aim to collect a range of four or five eyepieces between 8mm to 24mm in 4 or 5 mm steps and include one piece between 30mm to 35mm for a sensible range of mags that cover most objects. You will soon discover it's not all about ramping up the power - some of the best views can be had at only 30x-50x mag. Bear in mind - when you magnify the object you also magnify the impurities in the atmosphere and the view can become very grainy. Hth :)

• Like 1

Hi Darrel,

There is an 8mm and a 5mm on ABS at the moment

There was a 25mm in a different advert which the chap was selling as part of a set of 4 - none if which you have - although it is an oldish advert and may have gone.

As you can tell by my signature I love the BSTs and got the set rather than using a Barlow as I just prefer it that way.

Good luck!

Vicky :)

A 12mm is an almost perfect eyepiece for the f/6 Skyliner 200P Dob . A 6mm alone  will match the focal ratio providing 200x power, and a slightly larger image,  but a 12mm Barlowed x2 will offer the same power and maintain the eye-relief?
Starguider's don't come in 6mm format but there are other eyepieces , I chose  the William Optics 6mm  SPL as the Starguider alternative. Its a great EP but with a reduced field of view.

I can use the 3.2 and 5mm EPs on the Moon, but their too powerful for anything else really , as the higher the magnification you go, the worse the image quality?  plus atmospherics will limit your viewing to not much over 200X to be honest, here in the UK.
I also have the 3.2mm purely because it completes a 'set'. Its going to be a struggle to own the full Delos 'set', but the Delos are not required or essential on an f/6 scope to be honest. But if your interested in long eye-relief (20mm) and their DIOPTRX system, then they could be of use on this scope, and just about any other scope, but deep pockets required unless you can get them second hand.

Edited by Charic

Hello, I have a BST 25mm and a Skywatcher 32mm plossl that might suit your requirements. 

The BST is less than 6 months old, as new condition with all original packaging, £35 delivered. 

The plossl is less than 12 months old, as new condition with all original packaging, £20 delivered. 

Or you can have both for £50. Pm me if you are interested.