SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Triplet and group - Amazing night

mdstuart

Morning everyone

It was one of those nights last night. Mid Winter, clearly blacker skies courtesy of the dry artic air arriving after cold front and the wife out on a night shift. So a good night to get out the 16 inch dob. Boy that wind is cold!

The dark skies were confirmed later by the observations. A 15.3 mag star was spotted at an altitude of 49 degrees. I even noted a mag 15.1 star and called it faint rather than very faint. A mag 14.2 galaxy was nearly held with direct vision as well. The naked eye limiting magnitude was just around 5.4 based on seeing one star in the Plough bowl.

Highlights included the NGC 2290 group in Gemini. I had been reading about it in this selected small groups document.

http://www.faintfuzzies.com/DownloadableObservingGuides2.html

In the Feb 2015 Webb society galaxy of the month article, Owen notes "The group of galaxies around NGC 2290 will also make a nice target but will be a challenge for large telescope owners as these galaxies are much fainter."

Well I managed to spot NGC 2289 first. Very tough even with averted vision. However with my 4.7mm eyepiece in my 16 inch scope it was constantly held with averted vision.

Next up was NGC 2290. This was actually a bit bigger and a little easier. It still needed averted vision and patience.

NGC 2294 was much harder. It is an edge on slither and was one of those, can I see it, yes , no its gone, no there it is again objects.

Finally NGC 2291 was found. This was a lower surface brightness than the others and so just looked like a brighter area under a little triangle of stars. Very tough again.

I could not see NGC 2288 despite trying hard.

The FOV is splendid with a sprinkling of stars like dust across the FOV.

So this is a "group" in the eyepiece but they are all so faint you can only see one at a time!

Here is an image for you from SDSS so you can see what I was looking at.

ngc2290_small.jpg

Highlight 2 - NGC 3202 Triplet - Ursa Major

This was a fine triplet. I enjoyed it more than the above group as I could hold all three little ovals with averted vision at the same time.

Here we have NGC 3202 / NGC 3203 and NGC 3207 all at a red shift of 7000 (310MLY) so further away than the above group which has a red shift of 5000 (220 MLY). 

ngc 3202.jpg

I also observed a selection of galaxies in Cancer. I came in at 1am after another night to remember. I feel so blessed to be able to see such things with my own eyes.

Mark Stuart

Great work! I was observing a galaxy group in Pisces a couple of months back. Like you it was a case of being able to only hold one at a time. This was in a 10" scope. I guess with the 16" the observing is no easier - you're simply going after harder stuff!

nice work there Mark...really pushing your observation skills again pulling galaxies out from your location. I'm totally in awe of your determination on the galaxy hunt. Keep the super reports coming and with Leo well on his way good luck on the spring galaxy hovering!, clear skies!

Good work Mark. 

I'll have a crack at those this evening. My Mk1's aren't as trained as yours, but I'll give it a go straight after a gander at the HH...... 

won't be long until Leo and Coma are back ?.

Remember the second law of fuzzy hunting - If in doubt, buy a bigger scope!

Paul

True to my word. I headed outside about 2am in search of Mark's trio.

I will say two things: 1) pyjama bottoms are not a great choice for subzero observing; and, 2) I can now see how Mark has bagged all of these galaxies! These were seriously hard....

The sky was pretty good to start with but deteriorated as the night went on until M51 only looked Ok. I spent a good hour on this cluster. Using a 16" Dob and TV Delos eyepueces. Only provisionally bagging 2290 & 2291; and they were a struggle. These put up a fight but the others resisted every trick that I know. A revisit before claiming even the easier two.

However, the conditions really weren't up for the x300 plus that Mark managed. Maybe that would do it?

I will return.

Good thread Mark. Keep them coming.

Paul

Paul

Try the 3202 Trio with averted vision as they are a bit easier. Only very hard with a 16 inch scope in rural England.

The 2990 lot were very tough. I could not see them at all with the 7mm eyepiece in. It was only when I notched up the power which gives me a few more tenths of a magnitude did they become possible.

In a few days time some more clear dry air is on its way from the North so you can have another go.

Mark

Got them! More mag did the trick last night before the transparency disappeared.

I managed NGC2289/90/91 in averted vision at x200. It took a good hour to tease them out properly. The fainter two were a step too far. This would be a lovely little group under a really dark sky.

Then onto NGC2274/75. 2274 jumped out and its partner popped in and out of averted vision.

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I followed the link (OP's post) and have been surfing the FaintFuzzies website. Not for the faint hearted!!

The Ursa Major triplet will have to wait until next time.

Paul  

Really good read Mark. I must admit when I read the thread title I thought someone had an amazing night with a new group of people and triplet apo refractor lol. If I'd spotted your name I'd have realised it was your 16" LB dob and a bunch of galaxies :) 

Just read and enjoyed reading it Mark thanks.

I have looked back through the NGC list I have and haven't looked at either group as yet? Sound's like I should and see how the 22" performs on them? Just as a matter of interest the lowest magnitude galaxy from the NGC list I have is NGC-2288 with a Vmag of 14.4 so maybe out of reach from your location? NGC-2291 states Vmag of 13.8 so really good going on that one. 

Discounting UGC's I've just looked through my list and the lowest I've seen according to that is NGC-1130 at Vmag 15.1 at Galloway late last year. The transparency wasn't the best as my notes say though.

I shall have a go at these when the next outing is arranged. Cheers for the pointers

Archived