SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings from Michigan

cosmicdebris48059

Greetings, I recently joined this forum to hopefully get answers to questions and learn. I got into astronomy about 20yrs ago not knowing anything with a small 4 1/2" reflector. After some time under the stars and some research into the hobby I instantly wanted at least a 10" SCT and to get into astrophotography. Being younger and just buying a house I was not able to foot the bill for all that and my interest slowly faded. I recently got the bug again while recovering from a leg injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. Found what I thought was a good deal on a Meade 10" LX200 and lots of accessories on eBay. I decided to take the chance on an older scope and all the goodies for less than half what it would cost to buy just a scope of that size new and went crazy buying more accessories, cameras etc. before having the opportunity to get the scope under the stars to actually use and check its functionality and optics. Needless to say my first clear night was cut short due to focusing issues. Hoping my investment in an old scope won't end up a loss and I can get it back in tip top shape to pick up where I left off 20yrs ago. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year full of clear dark skies........ Dave

17 minutes ago, cosmicdebris48059 said:

Greetings, I recently joined this forum to hopefully get answers to questions and learn. I got into astronomy about 20yrs ago not knowing anything with a small 4 1/2" reflector. After some time under the stars and some research into the hobby I instantly wanted at least a 10" SCT and to get into astrophotography. Being younger and just buying a house I was not able to foot the bill for all that and my interest slowly faded. I recently got the bug again while recovering from a leg injury sustained in a motorcycle accident. Found what I thought was a good deal on a Meade 10" LX200 and lots of accessories on eBay. I decided to take the chance on an older scope and all the goodies for less than half what it would cost to buy just a scope of that size new and went crazy buying more accessories, cameras etc. before having the opportunity to get the scope under the stars to actually use and check its functionality and optics. Needless to say my first clear night was cut short due to focusing issues. Hoping my investment in an old scope won't end up a loss and I can get it back in tip top shape to pick up where I left off 20yrs ago. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year full of clear dark skies........ Dave

Welcome Dave , plenty of knowledgable people on here to help you out mate, 

im knew here myself and new to astronomy.....

you said focusing issues???

whats the specs of your scope???

apperture , focal length ect???

what was you aiming at and what eye piece was you using??? 

If you was having focusing issues maybe your mag was too high? 

Have you tried your scope in the day with your lowest mag at a chimney or something??? 

If it's not your mag maybe being a old scope it needs a clean 

Im by no way a expert like many on here but I guess that's some of the questions they will ask

Nathan 

When turning the focusing knob the image will go slightly to the outside edge of view, then when turning the focus knob the other direction the image goes in the opposite direction to the outside  edge of view. It won't stay in the center. Doesn't matter what magnification. I first put it on the nice  crescent moon and it looked OK at best when it got into focus at that fine outside edge. Hopped over to Venus and it was pretty much a bright blurr. I'm quite sure it would focus in just fine if it wasn't for the image moving from one side to the other while turning the focus knob in and out. It's my first SCT so I'm not sure if it's a simple collimation adjustment needed or something more serious that could of been knocked loose or damaged during shipping?

2 minutes ago, cosmicdebris48059 said:

When turning the focusing knob the image will go slightly to the outside edge of view, then when turning the focus knob the other direction the image goes in the opposite direction to the outside  edge of view. It won't stay in the center. Doesn't matter what magnification. I first put it on the nice  crescent moon and it looked OK at best when it got into focus at that fine outside edge. Hopped over to Venus and it was pretty much a bright blurr. I'm quite sure it would focus in just fine if it wasn't for the image moving from one side to the other while turning the focus knob in and out. It's my first SCT so I'm not sure if it's a simple collimation adjustment needed or something more serious that could of been knocked loose or damaged during shipping?

I will be brutally honest mate I could not tell you with certainty being new to astronomy myself,

I was thinking collimation before I read where you wrote it. 

Personally im guessing your scope will be fine after collimating and maybe a clean (IF REALLY NECESSARY)

but rest assured someone with a fountain of knowledge will be along shortly to help you out mate,

been on this site a little under a week and I've never met so many helpful and knowledgeable people in my life. 

I look forward to hearing your enjoying your scope mate. 

Take care and all the best

Nathan

Just now, cosmicdebris48059 said:

Thanks Nathan, that's why I joined this site. To meet helpful people like yourself and others. I posted a "Focusing Issues" thread in the telescope discussion topic and someone mentioned a mirror lock if you'd like to follow the situation there. 

Yes mate I will check that out because I'm interested to know the cause and solution 

Hi and welcome to the SGL, I hope you find the answeres you need to have your scope up and running soon. I am sure you will find the information required on this fabulous site. I would not be where I am with astronomy without the help and input of the wonderful people here. 

• 1 month later...

Archived