Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Completely Unofficial - PICTURE OF THE WEEK!!

Tim

A long time ago, on a forum not a million miles away, the moderators alliance held a weekly event known as Picture of the Week.

The weeks winning image, and a selection of runners up would be chosen, and a brief description given surrounding the images, and the reason they were chosen.

Well this week, in order to keep a promise I made in the distant past, I am posting one final instalment of Picture of the Week.

But first a little background to the image.....

The imager in question is a long time forum member, and has been involved in astronomy for longer than a lot of us have been alive. Over the years we have learned that he has made his own mirrors, taken images with film, built a double sliding roof observatory, and various other accomplishments. But most of you will know him from the welcome posts and encouraging comments he has made on your posts.

Speaking personally, as I was starting out 9 years ago with my astrophotography "baby steps"  this member gave constant encouragement and kindly remarks, no matter how many dodgy blobby pictures of goodness knows what that I posted. These appreciated remarks were instrumental in spurring me on to improve and make progress, and I dare to say that many others on here could say the same.

The forum at large will not be aware of the relentless teasing that this member has had behind the closed doors of the moderators room. For many years we have seen him collecting telescopes, CCD cameras, guidescopes, software, everything you need for astro-photography, and we have eagerly awaited his inaugural post of his first astro-image. With no image forthcoming, despite us helping him and guiding him and sitting with him and setting him up at star parties, the leg pulling only got worse, to the point where I made the solemn promise that the first time I saw a picture posted by this member, no matter the quality or the circumstances, I would ensure it was Picture of the Week!

Well Picture of the Week has since been discontinued, but my word is my word........

So here you are Barkis, as a mark of respect, and of appreciation for your encouragement, and for your continued support for the forum and its members, I have chosen your Venus and the Moon picture as my favourite Picture of the Week!

PS: I also hope that this serves as a cattle prod towards getting you into that observatory and behind that camera of yours :)

5869792cacc0f_MoonVenus.jpg.68a58ffe1564896c99abca2f4c8ba5be.jpg

Took a few minutes to work out what you were on about Tim. :icon_biggrin:.
If I'd any Idea you were going to spring this on me, I would have waited another 10 years to
throw an Image up. 
I would have loved to have exploded on to the scene with something a bit more spectacular, but Jenny's post about Venus
kinda keened  me up a bit. I posted it earlier in her thread, but deleted it immediately, as I didn't want be accused of Hi- Jacking.
However, the thread seemed to have evolved into a free for all, so I took the plunge.
I thank you all for your kind words, and I hope I can contribute something  a bit more elaborate in 2017.
My Moderator colleagues have ribbed me in a friendly way for donkey's years for my very Tardy Image debut, I honestly did not expect
this to remotely qualify.   I would hope to in even a small way, emulate Tim, and quite a number more of SGL's superb Astro. Imagers,
I need not name them, because they will know themselves, and their accomplishments  very well indeed.
Thanks again folks, and as they say, Watch this space. For how long I don't know, but watch anyway.

Great start Ron - looking forward to your next image in another 80yrs lol :grin:

Seriously though - well done and well deserved! And a very nice sentiment from Tim - an expert imager who has also helped me many times at star parties. :)

Pah!!  Far too much sentiment here, It's Humbug. 
Scrooge hat off.

There's a great deal of the essence of SGL here, that's the Important factor.
Strange what a piddly little picture can do :crybaby2:.
I've put My Hankie away now, thanks a lot, You Lot.

A quite magnificent choice, Tim, and a worthy write-up about someone we all admire on here. Perhaps Ron, as last holder of the POW title, will be a bit like John Cobb who holds, forever, the outirght lap record at Brooklands! 

Olly

On 02/01/2017 at 19:35, Beyond_Vision said:

A legend :)

HehHeh!   I've been called a Knob End at times Kev.  Never Leg End :icon_biggrin:.
Hope You all had a Good Xmas and New Year. Say hello to  your family for  me. 
Didn't see you at SGL XII, did you decide not to visit after all?

Archived