Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

observing the moon

Ger

13 hours ago, Ger said:

delighted to get my first glimpse of the moon this evening. if I'm not mistaken I got a view of the sea of crises ( mare crisium ).. ??

You are not mistaken at all, Mare Crisium is showing nicely currently (or it would be for me if it wasn't cloudy!) Here's a labelled map for you to check out.

IMG_8467.PNG

Can't go wrong viewing the moon!! The is a reason why it is that target that tends to get people hooked on the hobby. You should check out the 'lunar 100 challenge' you will be a expert in no time. Downloading a 'moon atlas' app or programme will help with it tremendously.

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

Nice Stu

What software are you using?

Inevitably it's an iPhone App Shane, called MoonMaps. It's not incredibly detailed in terms of features outside craters and mare but I find it very useful as a guide to what is along the terminator.

There is also MoonMapPro which is harder to use but shows more detail.

I've also just discovered Moon Chart which seems very good, somewhere between the two!

IMG_8470.PNG

IMG_8471.PNG

IMG_8472.PNG

IMG_8473.PNG

For Android, you can download Lunar Map HD (its free), and use the LROC hi -res- mode. It has replaced my trusty Rükl-Atlas for quite a while. You can vary the view (e.g. RACI view or Newtonian orientation).
I enjoy to compare the views using the 18" Dob- a wealth of details and structures.

Stephan

Archived