SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sir Isaac Newton Fifty Pence 2017

Charic

...showing your age? mind you, I still remember thruppnee bits, the coins, not the cockney slang ?

And you know what, Its still possible to find them today on a local beach, I already have an ice cream tub full of mixed coins from that era,  part of the beach is adjacent to the old railway line and station, so quite possibly loose change was thrown into the water by the passengers, just to make a splash? why else throw money away?  There are more coins, its just reaching them between the boulders, that's  the difficult bit!

Edited by Charic

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 15:22, ollypenrice said:

Imagine what would happen if they put Robert Hooke on the pound coin while they were about it...

Hahaha! The thought of a pocket punch up... "G'wan HIT him Robbo (my son)"! :p
For me and & Leibniz? I have arranged bookshelves by "philosophical emnity"...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 13:40, Putaendo Patrick said:

Hope this doesn't mean that the importance of his scientific research has been devalued by 50% :hiding:  Even Jane Austin's worth a tenner these days!

I think it's great that he's on a coin rather than a note. I've collected old coins since I was 6 when I dug an old Victorian penny out the ground. I've since obtained coins going back to the 1870's but no notes, I think most of them would be long gone unless purposely put aside and framed/stored. 

Coins are good for longevity :) 

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 15:22, ollypenrice said:

Imagine what would happen if they put Robert Hooke on the pound coin while they were about it...

Oo-er missus.

Olly

Dr Stuart Clark wrote a good book about the relationship/rivalry between Hooke and Newton. It was written as a novel but very well researched as to give a good idea of what it must have been like at the time. Halley made a good appearance too.

I don't think there is much doubt amongst historians that Hooke did have a role in giving Newton a cenceptual, though not a mathematical, leg up on his way to his theory of gravitation.

Of course Newton would never admit this. When Newton said he had seen further because he stood upon the shoulders of giants he was, in fact, taking a swipe at Hooke who was deformed and dwarfish. There's a geat Hooke biography byu Stephen Inwood which I have read and another by Allan Chpman which I have yet to read.

Olly

• Like 1

Just learnt something new today!

People used to clip the edges of silver coins thus devaluing their real worth which depended on their weight of silver. Newton became Warden of the Royal mint in 1696, and introduced milled edges for coins - these fine lines on the edge of the coin made it immediately visible that a coin had been clipped and was thus not legally valid.

So I guess a coin to celebrate Newton is more appropriate than a banknote.

http://blog.perthmint.com.au/2015/09/29/how-isaac-newton-helped-shape-our-coins/

44 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

...and introduced milled edges for coins - these fine lines on the edge of the coin made it immediately visible that a coin had been clipped and was thus not legally valid.

I posted up the same thing but then had to edit it out a couple minutes later after googling a bit more. :) Apparently newton often gets credited for the introduction of milled coins but they predate him, although he did have to sign a document swearing not to reveal the process used.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...