SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nikon D5300 for astrophotography ?

Just about to get into Astro Photography and thinking of a DSLR approach.   Has any body used a Nikon D5300 with Tilting screen and can anyone recommend a good Tablet / Laptop , Notepad …?

Happy New Year to All and when are we going to get some really Good viewing Skies in South West England ….?  Best Wishes   Jupiter 1

I've heard good things about the D5300 for AP, the sensor is quite sensitive and I believe it doesn't suffer from the 'star eater' noise reduction problem in earlier Nikons. However, I don't know how easy it would be to get one modded (filter removal to improve Ha responsiveness) if you wanted that done at some point.

The D5300 is a great DSLR and I have seen some great pictures with it, but for me in terms of price point it sits in an awkward position between what I would call a cheep starter DSLR for astro-photography like what I use and the lower end of the dedicated CCD / cooled CMOS cameras....

I've taken snaps of the Moon with the D5000,  it too has the tilt/swivel screen, but alas my setup was not intended for astrophotography, therefore have not progressed any further, but the camera does and can attach to the telescope.
Proper astrophotography will commence if/when I invest in an 80-120mm ED Refractor, though considering the local levels of light pollution,  and needing to be away from home to achieve decent  long exposures to achieve the results I expect, astro imaging will be some way off for the foreseeable future!
I know many folk mention Cannon as a camera of choice, and Nikon do have dedicated Astro cameras at a price, but with patience and practice, I`m sure your D5300 will produce the results you desire. You wont know until you try.

As a  potential newbee into astrophotography this book makes for a good read, https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Archived