Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So, you can see plastic vanes and not the stars through your new telescope

Two weeks ago I set up my new first ever telescope in the daytime and tried to view trees.  All I first saw was the shape of the plastic in the end of the telescope.  So it seems have many other beginners.

This thread is to tell you all that the solution is simply to keep turning the focus wheels.  Like a camera lens, a telescope lens will focus really close objects, like those bits of plastic, but when focussed on really distant objects sort of a mile away (like my trees) or more (like stars), the plastic insert is not visible because it is beyond the deep distant focus of the lens.

I knew this because I had done lots of telephoto photography, so when I saw the plastic insert in the telescope lens I just kept turning the focus wheel until the shape disappeared and the distant trees came into focus.  The same thing works on stars.  If it works for me, a total novice, I feel sure it will work for everyone in my position.  Give it a try and see if it helps.

NB.  If doing work in the daytime make sure you don't point it anywhere near the sun.

I hope this helps some folks.

Practicing in the daytime is a great idea with telescopes, all telescopes!

The more familiar a person can be with the equipment, the easier it will be to use it in the dark. Things like positions of lock screws on focusers and accessories, positions of eyepiece sizes in their box etc. Filters? Practice unboxing and fitting them.

Ideally, we could use our things with our eyes closed. That way, we can use them in the dark, and make that dark as dark as possible, if that makes sense :)

Tim

I prefer the Newtonian design for families with young children in that a Newtonian is not ideally suited for daytime/terrestrial use, therefore there's less of a chance of the telescope being taken outdoors during the day and casually aimed at the Sun.  An entry-level refractor, on the other hand, usually comes equipped with an erect-image diagonal, and in that configuration being ideal for daytime/terrestrial use.

• 11 months later...

Archived