SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

i need HELP!

Ola

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Usually, seeing the spider vanes / secondary support means that the scope is not focussed.

At medium magnification, Venus will currently appear like a tiny version of the Moon at half phase. Like this:

20120313-kc-05.jpg

1 minute ago, John said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Usually, seeing the spider vanes / secondary support means that the scope is not focussed.

At medium magnification, Venus will currently appear like a tiny version of the Moon at half phase. Like this:

20120313-kc-05.jpg

thx i will try it when i see venus agian

Yep - when you see the spider veins it's definitely out of focus. Once it's in focus the stars will appear as sharp points of light but venus may appear slightly fuzzy. That's either due to the effect of the Earths atmosphere or the gas around venus. But the spider should certainly not be seen. Hth :)

1 minute ago, brantuk said:

Yep - when you see the spider veins it's definitely out of focus. Once it's in focus the stars will appear as sharp points of light but venus may appear slightly fuzzy. That's either due to the effect of the Earths atmosphere or the gas around venus. But the spider should certainly not be seen. Hth :)

thx for more info this will help surely

Ola,

Is this what you're seeing, perhaps?

Venus-120915.jpg

That's an image of Venus through my 150mm f/5 Newtonian.

What type of telescope do you have?  It should have a label on it, and with its diameter and focal-length or focal-ratio listed.  For example...

label.jpg

If you can see the vanes then Venus will be well out of focus and likely a ring/doughnut shape. If this is the case then wind the focuser in and the blurred vanes will disappear and Venus will be smaller and sharper - never entirely sharp and it will be a sort of cresent only, not a full round disk. Basically wind the focuser so that the eyepiece moves in towards the scope.

If Venus is small and sharp (as well as it can be), but there are 4 spikes coming from it then I guess you are seeing the diffraction pattern caused by the spider vanes. These are normal for a reflector and there is not a great deal you can do about them. Just have to accept that any bright object will have 4 spikes coming from it.

There is something that can be done, as I've integrated one of these myself, and successfully...

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-variable-polarising-filter-125.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p321_Antares-Variable-polarizing-filter---1-25----1------40--transmission.html

Such would dim the object, and the flares.  Then, the phases of the planet would present themselves.

It also serves in dimming down the Sun, but only with a safe solar filter in addition.

It even does Jupiter a treat...

101915 - Jupiter.jpg

...and in revealing details, minute even, of the planet's surface.

Archived