Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Ain Soph Aur

45P/Honda-Markos-Pajdusakova with SLL

Very happy to get a shot of comet 45P/Honda-Markos-Pajdusakova this evening. This is a multi-spectrum capture with SLL, MN190 f/5.3, SX-825 and RGB filters. 6x30s each RGB, sum stacked with linear and non-linear integrations and re-sized. Too bad I didn't position this a bit better to get more of the tail!

Arcsinh integration:

_45P_Honda_Mrkos_Pajdusakova_2016_12_30_

x^0.25 integration:

Linear:

• Like 17

Regardless of the tail, those are really nice captures! Thank you for these!

There are articles about this 'New Years Comet'- as it's being called all over the astronomy-press. If you're interested, here's a link that will also link you to many others:

http://earthsky.org/todays-image/comet-45phonda-mrkos-pajdusakova-photos

Thank you again -

Dave

Excellent shot of this comet Brandon! It must have been pretty low even in Tennessee? Here it is around 10 degrees at twilight and very close to the moon. I should have tried anyway but I was too intent on getting a look at the bright quasar CTA 102 and the Mars/Neptune conjunction.

Happy new year!

Martin

Thanks for the comments!

Martin, it was indeed extremely low. By the time I finished this set and decided to try to reposition for more of the tail and/or mono captures then it was too low. It looks like it my be even better positioned in the morning later in January.

Lovely captures Brandon, nice detail and colour. You're producing some of the best EAA images out there at the moment IMO, keep posting!

Very nice capture. If the sky ever clears here I hope to get a look for myself.

Thanks to Brandon's post in another forum, I tried a capture of this comet last night at the VIS on Mauna Kea.  The object is very low in the western sky (< 10 degrees) and was in the direction of parked cars for the VIS.  The car lights were quite disruptive, but I was still able to get something.  Attached is the result.  Thanks to Paul for the incredible SLL s/w.

DonIMG_0569.JPG

• Like 6

Very nice capture Don, the tail is an interesting orange/brown colour.

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1