SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

45P/Honda-Markos-Pajdusakova with SLL

Ain Soph Aur

Very happy to get a shot of comet 45P/Honda-Markos-Pajdusakova this evening. This is a multi-spectrum capture with SLL, MN190 f/5.3, SX-825 and RGB filters. 6x30s each RGB, sum stacked with linear and non-linear integrations and re-sized. Too bad I didn't position this a bit better to get more of the tail!

Arcsinh integration:

_45P_Honda_Mrkos_Pajdusakova_2016_12_30_

x^0.25 integration:

Linear:

Regardless of the tail, those are really nice captures! Thank you for these!

There are articles about this 'New Years Comet'- as it's being called all over the astronomy-press. If you're interested, here's a link that will also link you to many others:

http://earthsky.org/todays-image/comet-45phonda-mrkos-pajdusakova-photos

Thank you again -

Dave

Thanks for the comments!

Martin, it was indeed extremely low. By the time I finished this set and decided to try to reposition for more of the tail and/or mono captures then it was too low. It looks like it my be even better positioned in the morning later in January.

Thanks to Brandon's post in another forum, I tried a capture of this comet last night at the VIS on Mauna Kea.  The object is very low in the western sky (< 10 degrees) and was in the direction of parked cars for the VIS.  The car lights were quite disruptive, but I was still able to get something.  Attached is the result.  Thanks to Paul for the incredible SLL s/w.

DonIMG_0569.JPG

Archived