Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Astroblagger

best tracking mount for dslr?

Hello Looking for abit of advice im looking to take some long exposure images with canon dslr and lens, so wondering which tracking set up is best, I had an astrotrac before and really didn't get on with or like the polar alignment scope, so wondering what other setups are on offer now?

Well the one I have considered is the SW star adventurer, and they now do the 'mini-wifi' version which looks cool, and seems to be a reasonable compromise without overly accurate PA needed.

The other thing that i do is to fit the DSLR directly to my SW EQ mount with the SW right angle bracket.  This works really well, no need to PA if you are less than ~175mm FL, just point the mount north with the LAT already set and you're away.  No so portable, but you didn't say you needed it to be..

will be interested to hear what you decide on :)

Mike

Star Adventurer is a doddle to set up and PA compared to the Astrotrac if you're only using camera lenses up to 300mm or a small scope.

Dave