Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus 29.12.2016 610 Longpass filter

Pete Presland

The conditions didn't look too bad last night, so I was desperate to try the recently acquired Baader 610 Longpass filter. Having observed/imaged Uranus a few times It was soon in the eyepiece.

I captured 12,000 frames at a painfully slow 4-5 FPS, which took around 50 minutes! I have no idea whether the "markings" visible are processing artefact's or actually some detail, but at least its round and resembles a planet :icon_biggrin: 

Taken with my C9.25/ASI224mc + Baader Longpass filter. Stacked in A/S2, lightly sharpened and coloured in C/S2.

Untitled-1.png

excellent image,

do you use debayer off with firecapture to make the image b&w whilst recording or use photoshop to convert it afterwards?

Have had difficulties with using 610 and 675 with ASI224 and firecapture, could not switch off colour function whilst recording, so the image came out blood red soaked

There is some real detail for sure Pete. As the bright polar region is clearly visible on the left. you have also caught some of the banding on the right. Not sure about the bright spot top centre. My guess is that its likely a artefact. If not it will be apparent when other amateurs get wind of it. Strangely reminds me of the spots that have been caught on Neptune.

I tried the 224 on Uranus though I may have had a mix up on the filters. You should try the 120, with the 290mm and 610 Filter I got 150.000 frames in 50 mins. Under good trans I found it a lot more sensitive in comparison. Not sure how the 290 compares to the 120 in IR though.

Its a good image

49 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Thank you very much Neil, I wasn't sure what I had to be honest. I will definitely try the 120mm next. I used a different stacking technique in A/S2 than I used last time, I used a single alignment box covering the planet.

yes I think the one box approach is better for Uranus too. Also worth setting normalize stack to 50. I learned this from Darryl

Very promising Pete - what you really need is one of the moons...Ariel will usually "pop out" if you create a duplicate layer from your original stacked image in your processing software & whack the levels right up to the max...a small bright white spot should appear clearly separated from the blown-out disk & all the noise & dross in the overall background (who knows, maybe more than one moon but you should easily be able to tell the difference between what I am describing & all the noise etc. Looking at the WJ ephemerides for the time & date of your capture will assist in telling you whether you are onto something! ;)

Get your 1 pixel selection tool & click a tiny selection smack dab in the centre of this small bright spot...then discard/delete the duplicate layer & the 1pxl selection will still be seen blinking in the original layer...again hit the levels right up & then deselect your 1pxl selection...behold a tiny pin-point Uranian Moon (or more as the case may be if you got 2 or 3 of those small bright spots appearing in the earlier actions...

This moon will give you the correct orientation of Uranus (using the WinJupos ephemerides etc) to tell for certain whether that bright area is the North Polar brightening etc... ;)

10 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

Very promising Pete - what you really need is one of the moons...Ariel will usually "pop out" if you create a duplicate layer from your original stacked image in your processing software & whack the levels right up to the max...a small bright white spot should appear clearly separated from the blown-out disk & all the noise & dross in the overall background (who knows, maybe more than one moon but you should easily be able to tell the difference between what I am describing & all the noise etc. Looking at the WJ ephemerides for the time & date of your capture will assist in telling you whether you are onto something! ;)

Get your 1 pixel selection tool & click a tiny selection smack dab in the centre of this small bright spot...then discard/delete the duplicate layer & the 1pxl selection will still be seen blinking in the original layer...again hit the levels right up & then deselect your 1pxl selection...behold a tiny pin-point Uranian Moon (or more as the case may be if you got 2 or 3 of those small bright spots appearing in the earlier actions...

This moon will give you the correct orientation of Uranus (using the WinJupos ephemerides etc) to tell for certain whether that bright area is the North Polar brightening etc... ;)

Agreed Darryl I should have mentioned this, after I learned all this from you, wasn't sure how far Pete wanted to go with it. I admit it was a bit of a guess saying the bright polar region was on the left. when I looked at it again it started playing tricks with my eyes. So I am uncertain to be honest. Your Advice is a lot more definitive

9 hours ago, Kokatha man said:

8 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Agreed Darryl I should have mentioned this, after I learned all this from you, wasn't sure how far Pete wanted to go with it. I admit it was a bit of a guess saying the brigt polar region was on the left. when I looked at it again it started playing tricks with my eyes. So I am uncertain to be honest. Your Advice is a lot more definitive

I was amazed to see 4 moons when I maxed the levels, L to R Umbriel, Ariel, Miranda, Oberon. I think I could probably get more natural looking moons next time, but they certainly show the position of the moons/planet.

I think definitely captured the Polar region. I think the two brighter central spots are probably my clumsy processing though.

2016.12.29 Uranus + moons, L to R Umbriel, Ariel, Miranda, Oberon.png

As Darryl says you can be certain if you put on winjupos  put the date and time in and align the moons with winjupos and your image by rotating.  until they all roughly line up.

Once done if the bright polar region is where we think we can see it, then that's certain. But visually I agree it does look right. Some prefer the fuzzy moons intact, others like the one pixel idea. I have used both approaches. Once Darryl explained the idea to me. Though the one pixel idea does look better often.

...all you need is the mid-time of your capture & look it up in WinJupos under the "graphics" tab for Uranus selected...don't forget under "options" you need to work out if your own image was N or S up or flipped...& of course this screenshot example is with Sthn. Hemi. coordinates.....& a time that isn't specific for you Pete! :)

ScreenHunter_2374 Jan. 03 13.52.jpg

Archived